Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Well it was a momentous day whatever. I am glad Scotland are staying in the union, but tough times still lay ahead. Politics in the UK appear to be changing.

As for Salmon, I assumed he would go as his whole time as First Minister was based around independence.

lets hope the whole UK can move on.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29274854
    Nigel Farage has said the time has come for an English Parliament, to give the country a "proper voice" in the UK.

The leader of the UK Independence Party told the BBC: "We've had a lot from Scotland but the tail cannot go on wagging the dog any longer."

He said there should be a full constitutional convention.

Mr Farage, whose party has no MPs but topped the Euro elections, also called for Scottish MPs to give up their right to vote on England-only issues.

- BBC News, 19th Sep 2014

This is a different issue to the Scottish Independence question and dare I suggest it is an "English Question"

Personally I think that Farage is a howling jackaninny because Westminster has been making laws for England for the best part of 316 years.

When the issues of nationalising, privatising, or corporatising public services were being discussed, for the most part over the past 100 years, the biggest benefactors were the city of London. The economy has even been redesigned to benefit 'the city'.

Granted that England comprises of 86% of the population but English members also make up 82% of the House of Commons.

How many "England-only issues" are there anyway? English Common Law pretty well much is the prevailing rule of law and assuming that there is to be a Devolved English parliament, what in blue blazes is it supposed to do?

There might be some argument in reforming the House of Lords but we all know that they aren't exactly likely to want to terminate their own positions; even through the instrument of elections.
    I'm afraid that I just don't get it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Nigel Farage should know a thing or two about tails wagging the dog... he's an expert at it!
    United in diversity !!!