I am not longer a subscriber to AR1 (membership was a casualty of the recession and I have not gotten back on board since then…) But I still check it out for headlines everyday….

The latest articles from Brian Carraccio and Stephen Cox, at least the titles and first paragraphs almost made me laugh…

"Who will replace Dario?" Really?? I do not know what Mr. Carraccio has said in the past about Franchitti - but in general he has been one of the lamblasted drivers of the past 20 year who has been seen as not having much personality and being a company man sort of guy. It comes time to retire and they make it sound like AJ Foyt is gone?? Dario is a great driver and I have a lot of respect for him. BUT, he is very replaceable as he is not a larger than life figure and he is not a media darling or anything else like that. Don't get me wrong , I am sad to see Dario retire - but the sport will move on without missing a beat….

As for Mr. Cox, the sport is losing its heroes?? Only if Messrs. Foyt, Mario Andretti, Jones, Unsers etc. are dying off…. We have not had honest to goodness heroes in more than generation. We have had great drivers and some great personalities - but you need both together to be a "hero" and that has not been happening… We have tried to force guys like PT and now Dario into the mould - but they don't quite fit…. Indycar losing heroes is a problem - but one from a long time ago. Power, Hinchliffe, Pagenaud, Newgarten are more than capable of filling the shoes of Franchitti, Tracy, Dixon etc in both skill and a limited hero factor - but, as of now, none hold a candle to the combo of personality and skill possessed by Foyt, Jone and the senior Andretti among others…..

thoughts?