Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Re: Has Bernie not learnt anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    You certainly didn't upset me. I make it a point not to make comments about the specific preferences of Brits or any other country that I have not spent much time in, unless of course I am joking. I realize that this is predominantly a UK site, and members of your tribe like to speculate about life in the US, and to be honest almost all of it is true to a degree, or in a specific instance for some Americans. But life-styles, beliefs, and persuasions in this country are an extremely varied demographic, and it is a waste of time, and it is meaningless to say:
    "Americans are........"
    Because if you look closely enough you will find nearly as many aren’t as are!
    A fine point If I may say so.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You certainly didn't upset me. I make it a point not to make comments about the specific preferences of Brits or any other country that I have not spent much time in, unless of course I am joking. I realize that this is predominantly a UK site, and members of your tribe like to speculate about life in the US, and to be honest almost all of it is true to a degree, or in a specific instance for some Americans. But life-styles, beliefs, and persuasions in this country are an extremely varied demographic, and it is a waste of time, and it is meaningless to say:
    "Americans are........"
    Because if you look closely enough you will find nearly as many aren’t as are!
    The way I see it, this is only one country on paper, in reality, you have many different countries inside this vast area, with very different beliefs, ideals, and points of view.

I know most think this is true of their country, and to an extent, it is true, every country, even the small ones, are not one homogenous mass of people, there are regional differences.

What I have experienced living in different countries, is that regardless of the regional differences, most of the citizens of a country share most political, economical, and social ideas, most of the people that deviate from the norm, deviate only slightly.

In the US, that is not true, so many people, so many regions, people have very different ideas, which is why it is so difficult to change so many things, almost impossible to reach a consensus.

Our Sports universe is the same, yes, big chunks of the population follow the MLB, NBA, NFL, and NASCAR, but percentage wise, is not an overwhelming majority, is just that with more than 300 million inhabitants, 50% of the populations is a huge piece of the pie.

Take football (soccer in here) for example, many people think Americans don't like or follow football, that is just not true, they don't like their local league (MLS) that much, but they love football.

I don't have the most expensive cable package, and yet, I have access to most Premier League games (U Verse uses the alternative channels to show them live), half of La Liga (Spain), and Serie A(Italy) games, many Ligue 1 (France) and Bundesliga (Germany) games, and every single Liga MX (Mexico) game. There are many, but many, football fans, it is just that we have so many options.

The NHL has a number of fans that many football leagues in Europe would kill to have, it is just that the numbers are dwarfed by the NFL, NBA, MLB, numbers, but they have a lot of fans.

Look at American Football, lots of fans, but not everyone is an NFL fans, there are millions of college football fans that don't follow the NFL and vice versa, there are millions that follow both.

This is a huge and diverse country, with very different pockets of fans, I love F1, couldn't care less about NASCAR, used to be a huge IndyCar fan, not very interested in IC anymore.
    Jose Arrambide
    Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python Flying Circus

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Formula One viewership is exploding in the US

American viewership jumps from 1.7 million to 11.4 million
    Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014020 ... z2sbQQayke
    Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

This is not a big deal to me, because I honestly don't care what my countrymen watch on TV, and I happen to feel that some of the stuff that is extremely popular in this country is not my idea of "entertainment". Be that as it may, as bad as the broadcasts were on NBCSN, they seem to have attracted a much larger audience.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts

Bernie is a selfish little dwarf, but I like him!

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

Formula One viewership is exploding in the US

American viewership jumps from 1.7 million to 11.4 million
    Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014020 ... z2sbQQayke
    Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

This is not a big deal to me, because I honestly don't care what my countrymen watch on TV, and I happen to feel that some of the stuff that is extremely popular in this country is not my idea of "entertainment". Be that as it may, as bad as the broadcasts were on NBCSN, they seem to have attracted a much larger audience.
    That is rather interesting. I think with so many channels over here people get lost in finding and watching any new sports. And as much as I hate it, having a delay to watch the races at a time when people are awake and watching TV more probably helps some too.

For the viewing audience to increase almost tenfold is a big jump, and obviously somebody did something right to make that happen.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

If the USGP and some Indy Car race were on TV at the same time, NBC would likely put the F1 race on the main NBC network channel and relegate the IRL race to NBCSports. The IRL, LLC Indy Car Series now competes with the Camping World Truck Series and Grand Am/IMSA for ratings. They don't even rate with the Nationwide Series, much less Sprint Cup.

Yeah, NASCAR trounces F1 in the ratings here. But NASCAR (Sprint Cup) trounces every sport in the Nielsens, except for NFL football.

IMO, the best thing for Bernie (and the USGP) to do is avoid head-to-head conflicts with NASCAR Sprint Cup when possible. But if it's not possible, the show still must go on. NASCAR has a much broader, more diverse fanbase than it used to. So it's not correct to judge NASCAR by old stereotypes. IMO, it would be nice to give the more "cultured" NASCAR fans a chance to watch the F1 race live. Additionally, a LOT of the NASCAR drivers are big F1 fans - so don't be a hata, yo.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Regardless of who legally owns the commercial rights to F1, Bernie is is still in charge of how and where you see it.
    Remember though that the FIA controls what F1 IS, not Bernie. Bernie doesn't set the regulations, test the equipment or police the on track product. Bernie has a number, for everything. That much should be perfectly clear to anyone that has ever followed F1. How much of that number goes to BE and how much goes to CVC is another matter, but guaranteed, Bernie will see his number or F1 will move on.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Some people seem very angry:

Texas Motor Speedway will host NASCAR's Texas 500 on Nov. 2, the same day F1 will hold its only race in the U.S. this year. Fort Worth is about a 3-hour drive from Austin.

While Gossage thought a stronger stance by the management at Circuit of the Americas would have prevented the scheduling issue, Ecclestone believed it was a non-issue.
    http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/formula_o ... ?id=444703
    I have, and will fly 1200 miles to Austin for the USGP, but wouldn't drive 100 to the nearest NASCAR race in Fontana Ca.
    I understand why them ol’ boys in Dallas-Fort Worth are pissed off, but both races will make plenty-o-money!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Great News

Great News everyone.

F1 is off to the motorsport hotbed...............................

Azerbaijan for 2015. Should be a classic venue and F1 country I am sure. Cant wait.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26461423
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy