Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Re: Mercedes CLA 250 - What do you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by veeten
    Actually, Jag, the 'bang-on' match to the Merc is none other than the VW CC. Just did a comparison, and it's a wash. Overall length, wheelbase, F/R width, engine, the whole nine yards. I wouldn't be surprised if that was where they got the chassis from for the CLA.
    I'd never heard of the VW CC before. But after doing an image search, slap on a Mercedes badge and it's pretty much the same car as the CLA, isn't it? Automotive doppelgangers!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by veeten
    Actually, Jag, the 'bang-on' match to the Merc is none other than the VW CC. Just did a comparison, and it's a wash. Overall length, wheelbase, F/R width, engine, the whole nine yards. I wouldn't be surprised if that was where they got the chassis from for the CLA.
    I'd never heard of the VW CC before. But after doing an image search, slap on a Mercedes badge and it's pretty much the same car as the CLA, isn't it? Automotive doppelgangers!
    Looks like Merc is pulling a China move
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

The VW Passat CC is a nice car. My father in law has one in white, and its the Bluemotion version with full black leather interior. Hopefully we'll buy it off him second hand at a reasonable price in the future, fingers crossed.

Liked 112 Times in 94 Posts

I'd prefer the Merc taxi over VW

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts

I thought the CC was bigger than the Mercedes, but I've never seen them together and the new US Passat is so huge it may be distorting my memory of the CC.

The CC is marginally bigger if I can recollect properly, but it's not like its a class above (size wise), they are pretty close.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

After seeing a number of initial reviews which were very positive (mainly focused on the styling), I'm now seeing more which are (like me) critical of the power levels (or lack thereof). But still, I bet they sell a boatload of them, just based on the price + that M-B badge on the hood.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts

In news related to the drift of this thread the new WRX was announced. In response I'm calling up a shop to order some new struts for my 2005 and having them grind off some rust that is starting behind two fenders. I'm sure it's good for another 140,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    After seeing a number of initial reviews which were very positive (mainly focused on the styling), I'm now seeing more which are (like me) critical of the power levels (or lack thereof). But still, I bet they sell a boatload of them, just based on the price + that M-B badge on the hood.
    That's the one thing that I can never understand. BMW, Merc, Audi etc sell millions of overpriced and often bad cars as people look at the badge not the car. I have never understood how people can short change themselves like that. Buy a BMW badge for a few bucks, stick it on the front of a Mondeo and pocket the extra cash!

Just further proof I guess that people are just plain old vain and stupid!

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts

Personally I like the styling of the car, but there are two things that put me off:
    A front wheel drive merc, not a real Mercedes. Although a 4wd version is coming. The other thing is the navigator on that. Why does it look like it was installed by a DIU mechanic?