Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Re: What do you expect from 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    What do we make of the rumours that the Mercedes V6 has 100bhp more than its rivals?
    Given that they're all working within the same, very prescriptive technical regs and the same laws of physics, this seems very unlikely to me.

I seem to recall this rumour emerged at around the same time there was a debate going on about what the teams wanted from Pirelli in 2014. My wild speculation is that this rumour was a play in that game: "if you give Mercedes what they're asking for on the tyres, then the championship will be no contest because they have the best engine too."

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    What do we make of the rumours that the Mercedes V6 has 100bhp more than its rivals?
    Given that they're all working within the same, very prescriptive technical regs and the same laws of physics, this seems very unlikely to me.

I seem to recall this rumour emerged at around the same time there was a debate going on about what the teams wanted from Pirelli in 2014. My wild speculation is that this rumour was a play in that game: "if you give Mercedes what they're asking for on the tyres, then the championship will be no contest because they have the best engine too."
    I tend to agree and disagree with you. While the teams are working under the same strict regulations, turbocharged engines offer a lot more opportunities for teams to get more efficiency and more power than their opposition may do. NA engines as we have had are limited by the number of cylinders vs rpm limit vs bore + stroke limitations placed on them which is the same for all teams. There is not much room for making hige strides over the opposition.

Turbocharged engines however, can have quite a significant difference in output depending on the turbo spooling and especially if one team has a better inter-cooling system than the others do.

I doubt it is as high as 100 BHP more than the others, but it is very possible for it to be significant enough that they have a decent advantage in the power stakes.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts

For all what we know of it could be Ferrari or Renualt that got the best engine package. Theres alot of rumours floating around.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

I'm calling Shenanigans on this rumor. I don't believe some teams are paying a premium for MHPE-engines that have 20% more Bhp than the others for a minute, when the Renault is good enough for Red Bull.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I agree Doc.

I think its highly unlikely that a engine manufacturer could have built an engine so much more powerful than other top engine manufacturers. Why would the others not be able to design an engine almost the same.

Doesn't ring true.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I agree Doc.

I think its highly unlikely that a engine manufacturer could have built an engine so much more powerful than other top engine manufacturers. Why would the others not be able to design an engine almost the same.

Doesn't ring true.
    Well if someone develops a better cooling system it is possible. Not sure on how the regs restrict radiators, intercoolers etc for 2014, but a good cooling system alone can have an effect as high as 10% - 20% if not more on the performance of a turbocharged engine.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Well if someone develops a better cooling system it is possible. Not sure on how the regs restrict radiators, intercoolers etc for 2014, but a good cooling system alone can have an effect as high as 10% - 20% if not more on the performance of a turbocharged engine.
    Would 20% be the difference between an intercooler and no intercooler, or between a good one and a very good one? I think we can assume that none of the engine-makers are going to come up with a really poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Would 20% be the difference between an intercooler and no intercooler, or between a good one and a very good one? I think we can assume that none of the engine-makers are going to come up with a really poor design.
    I agree that they shouldn't come up with poor designs, these guys are pro's with bucket loads of money to throw at R&D work. But I do have some experience with turbocharged engines. Efficient cooling is a very important part of getting a turbocharged engine to deliver it's power, especially on warmer days and under extended periods of hard driving. Small changes in the design of the intake and cooling systems application can have huge effects on the overall performance of a turbocharged car.