Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Re: Daniil Kvyat, 19, to drive for Toro Rosso

Kvyat's age isn't really an issue, there have been youngsters racing before and some have gone on to great things. The question I would ask is "Who the hell is Daniil Kvyat?" he has hardly set GP3 on fire. I know he is second in the championship and has had a couple of wins, but...
    Does he bring in extra cash from Mother Russia? I wouldn't have thought RedBull-B would need that, or have they genuinely seen something special in this kid?

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts

Lets see what the boy can do.

At least Toro Rosso are giving drivers the opportunity.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

And, much as his career has been solid rather than scintillating, 19 year-old Jenson Button went from 3rd in British Formula 3 (sort of similar in stature to GP3 as it was below Formula 3000, in a way? The feeder series were a lot more confusing then I realise) to a seat in a Williams... I'll admit that was baffling to me then. Let's give the kid a chance before flying off the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoepie
    And, much as his career has been solid rather than scintillating, 19 year-old Jenson Button went from 3rd in British Formula 3 (sort of similar in stature to GP3 as it was below Formula 3000, in a way? The feeder series were a lot more confusing then I realise) to a seat in a Williams... I'll admit that was baffling to me then. Let's give the kid a chance before flying off the handle.
    Good post!

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

I just hope for his sake the leap isn't too big, as this could destroy a career that could have lead to great things.

I just look at Mitch Evans, 2012 GP3 champion, stepped up to GP 2 and has driven well, but hasn't exactly been at the front. With a season under his belt, I would expect Mitch to be winning in GP2 next year. If he had gone directly to F1, I would expect that he would have been in for a season and no more.

This is the fear I have for a driver like Daniil, he may very well be the first Russian capable of winning a F1 race, but by being thrown in to soon, this chance may never arrive.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/

so F1 has now become a childrens playground? What happened to the days where F1 was a mans sport? Now we have these young kids brainwashed to say the right thing, wear the watches, thank the sponsors. I really miss the days where the drivers said what they wanted and not what they were told to as im sure is the case for this new arrival.

Ok im gonna get a back lashing im sure but i grew up watching Prost, Mansell, Senna etc where the cars were animals and you were risking your life every lap. Its what made the sport what it was then. Of course its great that safety is better but there has to be some risk. These kids would have brown underwear and be exhausted after 1 lap in the 80s MP4/4 McLaren.

ok bring on the abuse!!!
    I think you will find that todays 19 year old is yesteryears 30 year old. Times have changed boet. It's called progress.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Exactly, 555.

Had Senna, Prost, Stewart, Lauda etc all been racing in todays era, they would not have been mid-20s before they.got to F1.

Not saying that this wee Russian scamp is in their league, but there is no way Prost would have been competing in European F3 had he been 19 today.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Best of luck to him.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope that Daniil can do more than many of you think!