Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

The future of Jenson Button

As here are many British citizens on this forum, then probably many of you care about the future of Button. For many years there has been discussion whether he will become champion one day or not and I think that sadly this season we have significantly come closer to the statement that Jenson Button will never become WDC! And not because of his own fault, but he is just in a wrong team (I don't believe in Honda at least as long as Nick Fry stays there...) and he has also nowhere else to go. And when the contract expires, then probably other teams won't be too interested in him as by then some other talented youngsters will have joined F1 and there is simply no room for JB in top teams.

Btw, I'm not exactly sure whether Button has 5 (ending after 2009) or 3+2 contract (get-out clauses in case Honda performs badly). But... even if he somehow manages to leave the team or decides to create Buttongate III (who knows, what he might think out again! : ), then where could he go?

Ferrari - probably filled for many years.
    McLaren - same
    Renault - they have their own young drivers' programme
    BMW - same
    <so the most attractive teams are quite improbable>
    Toyota - not notably better option. But in case Toyota fails to hire Heidfeld, then they might be interested in trying to create Buttongate III.
    RBR - not a future top team either
    Williams - stronger at the moment, but they are a privateer and I suspect that already in the second half of the season Honda is better.
    No reason to mention other currently participating teams, BUT there is an interesting team joining F1 - Prodrive. They might be an plausible choice if they are going to use McLaren's chassis. Probably not a top team, but a potential mid-field team.

It seems that continuing with Honda might still be the best existing option, but in that case the dream of a World Title has to be forgotten...

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I think that he will stay with Honda, but they will never make a Champions car.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Apart from having a race win under his belt, he's rather in the same boat as Mark Webber, isn't he — he needs to become a genuine regular front-running challenger to have a chance of getting into a top team, but even so it's unlikely.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    is he even beating RB now?? Maybe Frank will take him back but I doubt he can beat Rosberg. There may be a seat or two come open at renault. But if Honda dumps Fry or gets Brawn things could change
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Apart from having a race win under his belt, he's rather in the same boat as Mark Webber, isn't he — he needs to become a genuine regular front-running challenger to have a chance of getting into a top team, but even so it's unlikely.
    Button is still only 27, and under contract with Honda until 2010. If they are able to produce a good car during that time (which is far from inconceivable), then he has every chance of winning more Grands Prix and challenging for the World Championship.

As for Webber, he is a few years older than Button, but if Newey can build a successful car in the next few seasons, he too could be in with a shout of victory. It would be a shame if he were to emulate Chris Amon, because in my opinion he is a top drawer driver.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jenson has a lot of years to come in F1 and when a DC found a paid race seat then Jenson will find one for sure!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J1
    Jenson has a lot of years to come in F1 and when a DC found a paid race seat then Jenson will find one for sure!
    I don't understand.

Jenson does have a paid race seat. He is one of the highest-earning drivers in F1.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    I don't understand.
    you don't need to!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J1
    you don't need to!
    No, but I would like to, as we are involved in a discussion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Button is an ok driver. After showing some glimpses that he could be great, he hasn't taken the next step. At this point it looks like he is doomed to be a mid-packer at best.