Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Re: HS2 High Speed Rail

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell

Why just the north? The line you mention, from Norwich in to London, is crying out for more money. It suffers so many serious infrastructure problems.
    No; I'm talking about transport infrastructure NOT involving London. Why does all the investment have to go into getting people into and out of London?
    Maybe because it is your financial and tourism hub amongst other things?
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

No; I'm talking about transport infrastructure NOT involving London. Why does all the investment have to go into getting people into and out of London?
    Because they are undeniably important routes, transporting the largest numbers of people. Like it or not, that's reality — as is the fact that more capacity and better infrastructure are urgent requirements on many of them. And you forget in your anti-London bias that these routes don't just transport people to and from London, but between intermediate points on the routes in question too.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell

Why just the north? The line you mention, from Norwich in to London, is crying out for more money. It suffers so many serious infrastructure problems.
    Maybe because it is your financial and tourism hub amongst other things?
    It is a major tourism hub yes but there are many other important sites around the country other than grotty London. Unfortunately so many rail routes suffer because of this obsession to spend all the money supplying routes to London. I can't use rail any more because I'd probably lose my job as its so unreliable. Birmingham is the biggest city in the UK and is in the centre, yet doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much effort in supporting. I hate the mentality in our country sometimes and its no wonder you hear 'Britain is a Country surrounded by the M25' so often!

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    It is a major tourism hub yes but there are many other important sites around the country other than grotty London. Unfortunately so many rail routes suffer because of this obsession to spend all the money supplying routes to London. I can't use rail any more because I'd probably lose my job as its so unreliable. Birmingham is the biggest city in the UK and is in the centre, yet doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much effort in supporting. I hate the mentality in our country sometimes and its no wonder you hear 'Britain is a Country surrounded by the M25' so often!
    You kidding! Birmingham! Bloody hell
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can only base my opinion on living a few minutes walk from a station served by HS1, which we were assured would increase capacity and bring prices down on the commuter routes. In fact what's happened is we've lost 2 trains per hour to accommodate the high speed trains, which cost a lot more, and prices on the "slow" trains have gone up well in excess of inflation.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've heard from train enthusiasts, the main role of HS2 isn't so much to decrease overall journey time - as it is, it takes you a little over an hour to get the London from Birmingham anyway, it's hardly trekking the Sahara - but more to increase capacity by letting more trains run on an overcrowded line.

I don't really use the train enough myself for it to personally affect me, but I won't deny that the costs on paper are eye-watering.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Is the high speed service run by First or someone else?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The contract hasn't been awarded and won't be for a long long time yet - probably 10 years or so.

It's far from certain the line will even be built.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The contract hasn't been awarded and won't be for a long long time yet - probably 10 years or so.

It's far from certain the line will even be built.
    Thanks. I was just curious. A company I had worked for over here was acquired by First while I was still there.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

That money would be better spent improving the east-west rail links rather than the north-south routes. Also there should be more emphasis on local transport infrastructure outside of London.

It amazes me though why HS2 is not going to connect to the Eurotunnel, or even use the same London terminal as the Eurostar.
    Time is the enemy.