Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Re: F1 - where has all the money gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    I don't think that things are much different now compared to 20-30 years ago,
    One thing has changed. F1 and FOM are far more aggressive in getting sponsors to sponsor either the sport itself or individual races than teams.
    That's true. Plus, only a few teams get to the podium (unlike IndyCar, for example). Sponsoring a mid-pack team isn't good business, except for national companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars
    Ummmm, an F1 sponsor can go a whole season to see a glimpse of their logo on CNN. The vision that was captured when Alonso gave Webber a lift back to the pits was a rare moment and very rewarding for their sponsors. The camera's followed the pair as they made their way around the circuit. Every news program had it as a major vision for the race. It will be played over and over.
    I doubt that a 30-second newspiece is worth the money. By sponsoring an F1 team, viewers associate those companies as major and established. Seeing the same sponsor on a car for years is even better for the company.
    Nitropteron - Fly fast or get crushed!
    by NaBUrean Prodooktionz
    naburu38.itch.io

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

It works better in cycling IMO. Where the name of the team is the name of the sponsor, so they are called like, Sky, Garmin etc, not McLaren / Ferrari. So the sponsors get a name check in the commentary.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    It works better in cycling IMO. Where the name of the team is the name of the sponsor, so they are called like, Sky, Garmin etc, not McLaren / Ferrari. So the sponsors get a name check in the commentary.
    Technically the sponsors are part of the F1 team names, too - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, Scuderria Ferrari Marlboro etc. but it would be too cumbersome to always say the full team name in the commentary, or we'd end up with NASCAR-esque hillarity

"It's time for an update on that rack, sponsored by Maco Autobody shop. Let's try to get a word with the driver down there in Zagnut infield communication center."
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Sponsoring an F1 team has hidden benefits though. If Vodaphone uses McLaren imagery to advertise then all the other McLaren sponsors get exposure on the advert without paying a penny. I don't think any sport outside motor racing gets this level of cross-advertising.

Also because of the prominent positioning of logos and the fact that historic F1 seems to get more exposure than past seasons of other sports, sponsorship is likely to get returns many years down the line. Imagine all the free advertising Honda, Malboro and Nacional bank get whenever there's a Senna tribute film or programme.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

And tobacco sponsors too. Which looks very strange these days.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

The money has gone or disappeared into recession blackhole. So has the F1 money, which is just a small part of the wider world context.

As pointed out, the ban of tobacco sponsorship has dried further avenues of sponsorship possibilites.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Bring back Tobacco advertising. I don't smoke or want to smoke, So why the hell should I care.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    On top of that, the big sponsors of yesteryear aren't allowed anymore - tobacco companies.
    And quite right too. It was ridiculous that one sport became so dependent upon sponsors from a single field.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Bring back Tobacco advertising. I don't smoke or want to smoke, So why the hell should I care.
    Because it's not just about you. Anything that can be done to stop people from taking up smoking is fine by me.

Technically the sponsors are part of the F1 team names, too - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, Scuderria Ferrari Marlboro etc. but it would be too cumbersome to always say the full team name in the commentary, or we'd end up with NASCAR-esque hillarity
    It used to be much more the case that commentators referred to sponsors' names. Watch a GP from the '70s and one often hears of the 'UOP Shadow', 'Olympus Hesketh', 'Elf Tyrrell' and so forth, to say nothing, of course, of JPS. The names were less long-winded than they often are today, I suppose, and tripped off the tongue that bit better.

"It's time for an update on that rack, sponsored by Maco Autobody shop. Let's try to get a word with the driver down there in Zagnut infield communication center."
    Ah, memories of the Bathurst coverage in years gone by, with the 'Toyota Track-Cam', 'Ferodo Replay' and similar nonsense. I seem to recall that one one occasion this got so bad that the BBC had to pull its highlights coverage. But I digress.