Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Rush

Has anybody seen it yet?

If so please tell us what you thought of it - ideally in a few sentences not just a couple of words.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Re: Rush

I haven't seen it but from the many reviews I read, it's doubtful that I will bother. Reviews and comments from N America show an amazing deficit of basic knowledge about F1. The context of teams and world Champions for the adjacent years are simply incorrect. Many (US) reviewers blithely point out the utter indifference to the sport in America. Still in 76 the US Grand Prix was held a 3 hour drive from NYC, home base for many of them. In addition a US West GP was ran closer to Hollywood and the Canadian GP was at Mosport. Two short years after US had its second World Champion.
    I'm really not sure these Hollywood flicks do any longterm good for the sport. Many viewers take their facts from the movie, or worse from the comments about the movie.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

What facts are wrong?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

It wasn't a bad movie overall but I was disappointed in some parts of it. It didn't show that Nikki Lauda and James Hunt shared a flat together before they both reached F1. It appears to me to suffer from similar drawbacks to that of the Senna movie. Dumbed down so the stupid of the Americans can understand it.

Good guy
    Bad guy
    This is small
    That is far away

It wasn't a bad movie but I'm disappointed overall as I thought it would be an accurate portrayal of events and, up to a certain point it was, but it deviated quite extensively.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    What facts are wrong?
    One example, just suppose a casual reader is getting his information from this NY Daily News Review of Rush:

"In 1976, British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) is a flashy, entitled young superstar in need of self-discipline if he’s to move into Formula One. When he finally does, he has a posh sponsor in Ferrari, a sleek new car waiting for him, a sexy girlfriend who shows up on cue — and, fairly quickly, a racing rival — Niki Lauda"

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    What facts are wrong?
    One example, just suppose a casual reader is getting his information from this NY Daily News Review of Rush:

"In 1976, British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) is a flashy, entitled young superstar in need of self-discipline if he’s to move into Formula One. When he finally does, he has a posh sponsor in Ferrari, a sleek new car waiting for him, a sexy girlfriend who shows up on cue — and, fairly quickly, a racing rival — Niki Lauda"
    Is that the fault of the movie or of the reviewer? I haven't seen it yet so can't comment.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Sensationalised Hollywood crap to be perfectly blunt. Melodramatic nonsense could be another description.

Grand Prix keeps it's spot as the best F1 based movie.

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5
    Sensationalised Hollywood crap to be perfectly blunt. Melodramatic nonsense could be another description.

Grand Prix keeps it's spot as the best F1 based movie.
    Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think!
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Hollywood sure knows how to distort history, and ruin what could have been a great movie. The land of opportunity, opportunity to stuff things up, again!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

There was a very good documentary about this season on BBC2 last night (it'll be on iPlayer). The guys from Ferrari and McLaren were particularly frank!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums