Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts

Re: Americas Cup Races

Didn't catch the coverage today... but it's just a matter of time until NZ wraps it up. It does seem that the gap in boat handling has narrowed, and now it's mostly up to tactical decisions. Both teams have made some strange decisions at times, even to a novice such as myself. But in all fairness what seems somewhat simple on the surface is without doubt a complex tactical game.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    Didn't catch the coverage today... but it's just a matter of time until NZ wraps it up. It does seem that the gap in boat handling has narrowed, and now it's mostly up to tactical decisions. Both teams have made some strange decisions at times, even to a novice such as myself. But in all fairness what seems somewhat simple on the surface is without doubt a complex tactical game.
    I'd say that the previous class had more tactical elements.

The IACC were "regular" sailing boats with a mast, a main sail, a fore sail and an additional downwind
    sails (either a spinnaker or gennaker). All these sails have different size versions and the amount
    that each boats was allowed to carry on-board for each race was limited.
    There was also allot more tactical elements regarding trimming of the sails.

The new boats obviously also have allot of trimming and etc.

Tactical decisions usually means, trying to impose a penalty on the opponent,
    trying to get an advantage in the pre-start to get a more favourable starting position,
    which side of the course have the most favourable winds and etc.

Here is a few clips from older AC's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1hYEuJWjW8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okBs1mZq8zk
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

For me, getting your head around the speed and distances is the primary factor. Though the boats aren't nearly as close in physical proximity, the race can still be very close. The efficiency of the wings does make for less sail surfaces being used most of the time, though apparently the race I missed did have the boats using the "code zero" (gennaker?) sails. They did some practice with those yesterday as well.

I've never really been a major fan of the racing, but to me the tech and speeds involved has made it more interesting. Having a basic understanding of sailing a large boat I can understand why the new designs might upset the "purists" if you will. I completely agree with the fact that sail trimming has changed in a huge way, but on the flip side the new boats have many more options when it comes to course and how deep or shallow to run to a mark. This does results in less tactical direction changes at times, but it seems the trend is to still cover the trailing boat unless the gaps get big.

I still can't quite wrap my head around boats making up huge ground.... some races have seen the trailing boats overcome 700-800 meters to win.

In that first clip you posted they refer to Spithill as "Jesse James Spithill". I've never heard that before.

At any rate, I hope the US can pull off a couple more wins so the racing continues. I have serious doubts they have any real chance of winning, but the longer it takes NZ to get that last win, the longer we get to watch.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Oracle won the remaining 4 races as well.

But I really hope that Emirates can bring it home.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Oracle have certainly upped their game, but even if they are now fundamentally better than TNZ, they will make a mistake and with the short races and high speeds one mistake is all that is needed.

From a one eyed Kiwi point of view, the first race an Friday (Saturday our time) took some digesting. 1000m + in front and moving further away, then the time ran out, you could here the whole country sigh and throw things at 4 million televisions.

Good racing today. Though Oracle took both races the leads changed from several hundred meters down to single digits at times. Both boats struggled with the lighter winds some. Some tactics on the first start, but still it didn't really buy much time overall.

I hope it drags out until the last possible race. I don't even care if they only get one race a day in. These things are fantastic to watch.

.... and the Oracle team takes another win, pushing the racing into today.

I'm surprised that NZ hasn't been much more aggressive on the starts, especially when the lead margin was so high.

This could push on for two or three more days, and it looks like it may happen. The Kiwi's should pounce before things get too close.

really strange that Oracle have managed 7 straight wins and I can't see any other result now then Oracle winning the final race as well.

You certainly saw it coming... I never did. Thus far Oracle has completely turned the tables and is now seeming to dominate each race. Even after getting a bad start they overtook on the third leg and put huge ground on New Zealand today.

At this point Oracle is almost in a no lose situation. They have turned things around and overcome the penalties, thus winning more races even if they lose the final race and the cup. If NZ loses the everyone will wonder why they couldn't manage one more win.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

D-Day!!