Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 180 of 180
  1. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,299
    Like
    105
    Liked 65 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Paul Di Resta would certainly be better were he allowed a come back, his stock has always been very high and it's still tragic imo the the doesn't have a top level racing seat.
    Interesting that on another thread, you say that you don't rate Hülkenburg very highly, mainly because he has never had a podium finish. Yet, Di Resta has never had a podium finish, either, and was clearly beaten by Hulk when they were team mates at Force India in 2012.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

  2. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,420
    Like
    21
    Liked 285 Times in 239 Posts
    Kimi is still fast , and doesn't cause a lot of friction within the team .

    It's got to be hard to decide who to get next , but Kimi is an easy choice right now , specifically because of those two things .

  3. Likes: Mia 01 (15th September 2017)
  4. #173
    Senior Member Tazio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    14,202
    Like
    719
    Liked 371 Times in 307 Posts
    I think Kimi is a pretty cool shark. He has a fast car that is relatively easy to set up at all venues. He is still notably slower than his teammate, by more than his #2 status would warrant. Kimi is doing an ok job but he should be closer to his teammate. Maybe Vettel deserves more credit. However I personally don't see him as being superior to Fred, Danny boy, or even Max. Kimi is IMO a poor mans (or old mans) Valtteri Bottas.
    I have great faith in fools -- Self confidence my friends will call it.


  5. #174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,173
    Like
    51
    Liked 247 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Interesting that on another thread, you say that you don't rate Hülkenburg very highly, mainly because he has never had a podium finish. Yet, Di Resta has never had a podium finish, either, and was clearly beaten by Hulk when they were team mates at Force India in 2012.
    Yup, fair point but overall they were evenly matched throughout the campaign, although Hulkenberg had a stronger second half finish to the season. Paul showed his stock this year in Hungary and he now has the hunger that Kimi has been lacking for over 10 years now. If Grosjean is worth a second chance at F1 then so is Di Resta. And lets not forget, Di Resta beat Vettel in equal machinery in F3 euroseries so he is a top driver. I think he could beat Vettel again if they were in the same car. Likelihood is that Vettel wouldn't want someone that beat him already in the team though.

  6. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,420
    Like
    21
    Liked 285 Times in 239 Posts
    Whilst not many here would agree with Ferrari's often used tactic of having a #1 and #2 driver , we have to remember that they use it .
    The car is designed , very clearly , for Mr. Vettel , and his strategy is favoured .

    Kimi understands all this . That's important .
    We've seen how twisted a Vettel team-mate can be , haven't we ?

  7. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,601
    Like
    27
    Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yup, fair point but overall they were evenly matched throughout the campaign, although Hulkenberg had a stronger second half finish to the season. Paul showed his stock this year in Hungary and he now has the hunger that Kimi has been lacking for over 10 years now. If Grosjean is worth a second chance at F1 then so is Di Resta. And lets not forget, Di Resta beat Vettel in equal machinery in F3 euroseries so he is a top driver. I think he could beat Vettel again if they were in the same car. Likelihood is that Vettel wouldn't want someone that beat him already in the team though.
    Hulkenberg, too, performed exceptionally in lower formulae, and has showed some moments of brilliance earlier in his career. I'd say it's hard to make a case for Di Resta being a superior talent.

    After spending too many years in uncompetitive cars - or an uncompetitive team situation - sometimes drivers seem to lose the cutting edge they once had. I think you can say that about more than one driver that's been mentioned here. The chief argument that can be made in favour of Di Resta is that having apparently missed his chance in F1, he would be exceptionally highly motivated should he get another one.

  8. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,590
    Like
    3
    Liked 80 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    After spending too many years in uncompetitive cars - or an uncompetitive team situation - sometimes drivers seem to lose the cutting edge they once had. I think you can say that about more than one driver that's been mentioned here. The chief argument that can be made in favour of Di Resta is that having apparently missed his chance in F1, he would be exceptionally highly motivated should he get another one.
    That's a good point. The question is though would you, if you were a team manager, be wiling to take the chance ?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  9. #178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,601
    Like
    27
    Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That's a good point. The question is though would you, if you were a team manager, be wiling to take the chance ?
    Probably not. If you're going to take a bit of a punt like that, then why not on a much younger driver, say one of the hot-shots from F2 like Charles "it is I" Leclerc.

  10. #179
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    830
    Like
    196
    Liked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    To a certain extent there is some foundation for what you post but on the other hand, the best drivers will overcome whatever piece of the puzzle they are and rise to the top. Raikkonen is clearly unable to do this. He's simply not up to the task. You can make excuses for a while, maybe even a year or so but he's clearly the slower of the two Ferrari drivers by a country mile.
    The whole history of motorsport backs up my statement. In fact, I made that statement because the history of motorsport is like that.

  11. #180
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    830
    Like
    196
    Liked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Idk about di resta. I could take him or leave him.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Hulkenberg, too, performed exceptionally in lower formulae, and has showed some moments of brilliance earlier in his career. I'd say it's hard to make a case for Di Resta being a superior talent.

    After spending too many years in uncompetitive cars - or an uncompetitive team situation - sometimes drivers seem to lose the cutting edge they once had. I think you can say that about more than one driver that's been mentioned here. The chief argument that can be made in favour of Di Resta is that having apparently missed his chance in F1, he would be exceptionally highly motivated should he get another one.
    It was a disadvantage Rosberg had to Hamilton when MB got their title winning car in 14.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •