Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Paul Di Resta would certainly be better were he allowed a come back, his stock has always been very high and it's still tragic imo the the doesn't have a top level racing seat.
    Interesting that on another thread, you say that you don't rate Hülkenburg very highly, mainly because he has never had a podium finish. Yet, Di Resta has never had a podium finish, either, and was clearly beaten by Hulk when they were team mates at Force India in 2012.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Kimi is still fast , and doesn't cause a lot of friction within the team .

It's got to be hard to decide who to get next , but Kimi is an easy choice right now , specifically because of those two things .

3. Likes: Mia 01 (15th September 2017)
    Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    I think Kimi is a pretty cool shark. He has a fast car that is relatively easy to set up at all venues. He is still notably slower than his teammate, by more than his #2 status would warrant. Kimi is doing an ok job but he should be closer to his teammate. Maybe Vettel deserves more credit. However I personally don't see him as being superior to Fred, Danny boy, or even Max. Kimi is IMO a poor mans (or old mans) Valtteri Bottas.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Interesting that on another thread, you say that you don't rate Hülkenburg very highly, mainly because he has never had a podium finish. Yet, Di Resta has never had a podium finish, either, and was clearly beaten by Hulk when they were team mates at Force India in 2012.
    Yup, fair point but overall they were evenly matched throughout the campaign, although Hulkenberg had a stronger second half finish to the season. Paul showed his stock this year in Hungary and he now has the hunger that Kimi has been lacking for over 10 years now. If Grosjean is worth a second chance at F1 then so is Di Resta. And lets not forget, Di Resta beat Vettel in equal machinery in F3 euroseries so he is a top driver. I think he could beat Vettel again if they were in the same car. Likelihood is that Vettel wouldn't want someone that beat him already in the team though.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Whilst not many here would agree with Ferrari's often used tactic of having a #1 and #2 driver , we have to remember that they use it .
    The car is designed , very clearly , for Mr. Vettel , and his strategy is favoured .

Kimi understands all this . That's important .
    We've seen how twisted a Vettel team-mate can be , haven't we ?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Yup, fair point but overall they were evenly matched throughout the campaign, although Hulkenberg had a stronger second half finish to the season. Paul showed his stock this year in Hungary and he now has the hunger that Kimi has been lacking for over 10 years now. If Grosjean is worth a second chance at F1 then so is Di Resta. And lets not forget, Di Resta beat Vettel in equal machinery in F3 euroseries so he is a top driver. I think he could beat Vettel again if they were in the same car. Likelihood is that Vettel wouldn't want someone that beat him already in the team though.
    Hulkenberg, too, performed exceptionally in lower formulae, and has showed some moments of brilliance earlier in his career. I'd say it's hard to make a case for Di Resta being a superior talent.

After spending too many years in uncompetitive cars - or an uncompetitive team situation - sometimes drivers seem to lose the cutting edge they once had. I think you can say that about more than one driver that's been mentioned here. The chief argument that can be made in favour of Di Resta is that having apparently missed his chance in F1, he would be exceptionally highly motivated should he get another one.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    After spending too many years in uncompetitive cars - or an uncompetitive team situation - sometimes drivers seem to lose the cutting edge they once had. I think you can say that about more than one driver that's been mentioned here. The chief argument that can be made in favour of Di Resta is that having apparently missed his chance in F1, he would be exceptionally highly motivated should he get another one.
    That's a good point. The question is though would you, if you were a team manager, be wiling to take the chance ?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That's a good point. The question is though would you, if you were a team manager, be wiling to take the chance ?
    Probably not. If you're going to take a bit of a punt like that, then why not on a much younger driver, say one of the hot-shots from F2 like Charles "it is I" Leclerc.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    To a certain extent there is some foundation for what you post but on the other hand, the best drivers will overcome whatever piece of the puzzle they are and rise to the top. Raikkonen is clearly unable to do this. He's simply not up to the task. You can make excuses for a while, maybe even a year or so but he's clearly the slower of the two Ferrari drivers by a country mile.
    The whole history of motorsport backs up my statement. In fact, I made that statement because the history of motorsport is like that.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Idk about di resta. I could take him or leave him.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Hulkenberg, too, performed exceptionally in lower formulae, and has showed some moments of brilliance earlier in his career. I'd say it's hard to make a case for Di Resta being a superior talent.

It was a disadvantage Rosberg had to Hamilton when MB got their title winning car in 14.