Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

So called 'advanced driving' techniques/ poor driving teaching.

We all remember learning to drive and being taught the push/pull technique or 'feeding the wheel' but how many of us still do this after we have passed our test? I always thought it might be useful if you are trying to manoeuvre a car without power steering in a tight space, but in a modern car? I remember being told that one of the reasons it is safer is because when you crash your arms will be out of the way of the airbag. But if you have trying to regain control of the car to avoid said crash you would have to be mad to start feeding the wheel. Not that I'm going to advocate crossing your arms over etc.

When I was learning to drive I remember my instructor telling to drive closer to the verge/kerb because it was safer. But if you ever look at the side of the road, next to the kerb, It is full of debris that has been swept to the side of the road by traffic. I picked up two punctures when I was learning to drive, both on the passengers side. Since I passed my test have had none, partly because I position my car further away from the kerb.

My brother is a railway engineer an often works at railway level crossings. He has said how he often sees learner drivers being told to stop at look both ways at controlled level crossings. This is a bit silly isn't it? Imagine if a learner driver stops at the crossing, looks both ways, tries to set off but stalls and jerks forwards, then the barriers come down with the car sat on the rails.......

Obviously I'm a male in my 20s so I know everything about driving
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Ironically, driving tests teach you more about dicking about while behind the wheel of a car rather than how to drive when behind the wheel of a car. It is that way over here at least.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    When I was learning to drive I remember my instructor telling to drive closer to the verge/kerb because it was safer. But if you ever look at the side of the road, next to the kerb, It is full of debris that has been swept to the side of the road by traffic. I picked up two punctures when I was learning to drive, both on the passengers side. Since I passed my test have had none, partly because I position my car further away from the kerb.
    Same reason you don't cycle in the gutter, a good a way as any to pick up punctures. It's safest of course to drive in the middle of the lane! But if anything towards the centre line.

My brother is a railway engineer an often works at railway level crossings. He has said how he often sees learner drivers being told to stop at look both ways at controlled level crossings. This is a bit silly isn't it? Imagine if a learner driver stops at the crossing, looks both ways, tries to set off but stalls and jerks forwards, then the barriers come down with the car sat on the rails.......
    I've never heard of that, however it is always ever so slightly worrying driving over a level crossing where I know trains go through at 125mph, trusting it hasn't failed
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are a male you ALWAYS know everything about driving and the others are just jerks....

Age is not relevant here, apart from me being and old forum member, therefore having extra knowledge about everything and anything
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Same reason you don't cycle in the gutter, a good a way as any to pick up punctures. It's safest of course to drive in the middle of the lane! But if anything towards the centre line.
    So why did my driving instructor tell me to drive in the gutter?

Speaking of cyclists. I was walking the dog the other day (I say the other day, it was about a year ago) as 3 cyclists approached the narrow, blind-crested bridge in my village. The bridge is only just wide enough for two cars to pass over side-by-side, but I was stunned as I saw a car overtake all 3 cyclists on the bridge. If a car had been coming over the bridge in the opposite direction there would have been a crash or a crushed cyclist. I'm not a cyclists but if I'd have been one of those cyclists I'd be tempted to ride side-by-side over the bridge so the car behind would treat us as road users.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

I just try to stay away from grooves.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    So why did my driving instructor tell me to drive in the gutter?
    He may have owned a tire distributorship on the side.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Normal driving position from edge of road is 1 to 1 and a half meters out

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    We all remember learning to drive and being taught the push/pull technique or 'feeding the wheel' but how many of us still do this after we have passed our test? I always thought it might be useful if you are trying to manoeuvre a car without power steering in a tight space, but in a modern car? I remember being told that one of the reasons it is safer is because when you crash your arms will be out of the way of the airbag. But if you have trying to regain control of the car to avoid said crash you would have to be mad to start feeding the wheel. Not that I'm going to advocate crossing your arms over etc.
    I never ever ever used push/pull; even on the driving test. I always use "hand over hand".

Frank Gardner, who was three times BTCC champion, in his book "Drive To Survive" didn't even advocate holding the wheel at 10 and 2 but at 9 and 3. The reason for this is that the wheel is like a lever and at 9 and 3, you apply the most torque on the wheel.

Then there's this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWuaY2JSyRY

I don't even know what the heck you call that.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Driving instructors I have known often say that what they are teaching is how to pass the driving test , & after you have passed is when you actually learn to drive .
    Leaving aside Gladwell,s 10,000 hours to be an expert , [ which probably means about half a million miles ] , there is no doubt that the other psychologists theory of the " Gunfighter syndrome ", [ where a reaction that comes from experience is always far quicker than one which has to be thought about ], means that the more driving a person does the much more likely they are to be a better driver .