Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Viruses and other malware

I seem to have picked up a virus or something. I use Firefox and Norton anti virus and it seems to have got through the barriers:

(1) Every second click in the forum takes me to a screen suggesting I update Firefox with various updates. The screen looks genuine with the Firefox tab etc but it's address line begins with gzj

(2) Adverts are appearing all over the screen including a banner across the top which appears about 5 minutes after I go to a page and makes the whole text jump down. These adverts have a small footnote "not from this site"

(3) I appear to have lost Hotmail - I got a security message apparently from Microsoft asking me to re-register using my password. It then asked for another code. When I said I'd lost it they sent another to my work e-mail but it didn't work so I ssuspect it wasn't Microsoft

(4) When I tried the old Internet Explorer ikon it went to something called "Babylon Search"

I'm sure I've collected something nasty - a virus, trojan or worm or malware - whatever the terms may mean and am not simply bgetting paranoid.

Can anybody suggest how I get rid of it other than taking it to a shop and paying them about £500 or signing up to one of these sites who say they'll clear your computer for a fee. The trouble is that I am not at all computer savvy.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    It will be worth installing an anti-malware programme. I used one with a free ten day trial recently. There are a couple of guides on google search about how to remove viruses which have worked for me.

Sorry I can't give you more details but I'm on my Smart Phone. If you wish, private message me and I'll try to send you more info later.

Hope that helps.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    First step, uninstall Norton and then do a fresh reinstall of it.

Next of, do a full system scan. If that finds something, allow it to fix it. If it doesn't, boot your system up in Safe Mode and scan again. Safe mode can prevent malicious programs from loading.

Presuming that nothing comes up, next step is to obtain Malware Bytes Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download The free version will be sufficient. Hopefully something will show up on this scan.

Also it's a very idea to run CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download CCleaner. I use this software every couple of days.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Can anybody suggest how I get rid of it other than taking it to a shop and paying them about £500 or signing up to one of these sites who say they'll clear your computer for a fee. The trouble is that I am not at all computer savvy.
    call daniel
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    also once the anti-virus and anti malware programs and their updates are installed, unplug the network cable (or Wi-fi/ 3G connection) and
    let the softwares do full systems scans, one at the time. After each full system scan do a restart.

The do new full system scans to see if all malicious items are gone.

No internet connection will prevent any malicious code from re-downloading itself which some viruses and malware do.

Also stay away from sites that claims that they'll clean your computer for a fee.
    Some might be legit but there is a risk that they'll give your more viruses and etc.

For Firefox consider to install two addons (if you don't already have them)
    NoScriptThis will (by default) block all sorts of scripts and style sheets and etc.
    This means that when you entering a website and it got auto triggered virus scripts this will block it.
    The downside is that you manually have to allow each script or web page (selection will be remembered)
    to get legit sites to work as intended.
    WOT. A sort of website guide database where users can rate a website and how safe/reliable etc... it is.
    obviously not always 100% reliable but at least you will get an idea about the website you are visiting.

Here is a screenshot of WOT enables: http://bildcentralen.se/images/2013/09/01/fumzj.jpg
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    call daniel
    And tell him you have a problem with your iMac.

Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano
    WOT. A sort of website guide database where users can rate a website and how safe/reliable etc... it is.
    obviously not always 100% reliable but at least you will get an idea about the website you are visiting.

Here is a screenshot of WOT enables: http://bildcentralen.se/images/2013/09/01/fumzj.jpg
    WOT is a great add-on. I've been using it on Firefox for some time and have found it to be VERY useful.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    A number of members on this forum could be classed as viruses...me included :
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I strongly recommend Malwarebytes. It was the only real solution to a problem I've had.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    A number of members on this forum could be classed as viruses...me included :
    I prefer to think of myself more as a pop-up window that won't go away.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Many thanks for the sympathy and the suggestions.
    So far I've run Malwarebytes (took 5 hours) and Super Anti Spyware (took 3 hours). Bewteen them they've cleared a lot of rubbish - about 8 dodgy items and 200 tracking cookies. Things are better but I'm not there yet. Currently struggling with Babylon - the instructions I've found on the Internet aren't working - yet.

Those of you who have confessed to being viruses and pop-ups should remember the moderators' control board and what can happen when a klutz like me tries to use it!
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.