Race
    - Grand Prix of Baltimore Presented by SRT

Location - Streets of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland

Date - Sunday, September 1st

Time & TV Schedule - Green Flag (Approx. 02:30 PM) - NBC Sports Network

Course Type - 2.04 Mile Street Course

Distance - 75 Laps / 153 Miles

Practice Sessions -

Friday, August 30th - 10:10 AM (Practice 1) and 02:30 PM (Practice 2)
    Saturday, August 31st - 09:05 AM (Practice 3)
    Sunday, September 1st - 10:15 AM (Warmup)

Qualifications - Saturday, September 1st - 12:00 PM

2012 Baltimore Grand Prix Race Information

Race Winner -
    #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
    Race Pole Sitter - #12 Will Power - 94.184 mph
    Time Of Race - 2 Hours, 9 Minutes and 3 Seconds
    Average Speed- 71.136 mph
    Cautions - 9 for 24 laps
    Margin Of Victory - 1.439 seconds
    Lead Changes - 12

Baltimore Street Circuit Information

Length - 2.04 Miles
    Turns - 12

Entrant list

#1 - Ryan Hunter-Reay - Andretti Autosport
    #3 - Helio Castroneves - Penske Racing
    #4 - Oriol Servia - Panther Racing
    #5 - E.J. Viso - Andretti Autosport & HVM Racing
    #6 - Sebastian Saavedra - Dragon Racing
    #7 - Sebastien Bourdais - Dragon Racing
    #9 - Scott Dixon - Target Chip Ganassi Racing
    #10 - Dario Franchitti - Target Chip Ganassi Racing
    #11 - Tony Kanaan - KV Racing Technology
    #12 - Will Power - Penske Racing
    #14 - Takuma Sato - A.J. Foyt Enterprises
    #15 - Graham Rahal - Rahal Letterman Lanigan
    #16 - James Jakes - Rahal Letterman Lanigan
    #18 - Stefan Wilson (R) - Dale Coyne Racing
    #19 - Justin Wilson - Dale Coyne Racing
    #20 - Ed Carpenter - Ed Carpenter Racing
    #25 - Marco Andretti - Andretti Autosport
    #27 - James Hinchcliffe - Andretti Autosport
    #55 - Tristan Vautier (R) - Schmidt Peterson Motorsports
    #67 - Josef Newgarden - Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing
    #77 - Simon Pagenaud - Schmidt Peterson Motorsports
    #78 - Simona de Silvestro - KV Racing Technology
    #83 - Charlie Kimball - Chip Ganassi Racing
    #98 - Luca Filippi (R) - Barracuda Racing
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    For the first time in as long as I can remember...no TV coverage in Canada for an Indycar race. Sigh.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    OK My Bad
    Looks like you can watch it if you've got a channel called SportsNetONE.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't know about you guys but I saw an amazing race today, can't wait for the Houston double header about 5 weeks!!
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Embarrassing , that's all I'm going to say.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good race, very exciting ending. Racing incident for Dixon? The jammed up carousel was a little ridiculous, but it's a competitive sport. The cars can take a little more of a beating! Overall, not bad.
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I would have considered this a good race if I wasn't so gutted after seeing Dixon slammed into a wall by Power.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't comment on the race as there was none. Amateur hour demolition derby at best. I was watching with sadness actually and trying to understand what has happened to Indycar. I'm pretty sure these ugly dallaras have allowed people to do dumb stuff. I think these cars took away the craft and skill needed to race open wheel cars. I'm trying very hard not to be negative, but this race was a disaster. There are people here who will disagree and enjoy yellow parades for two hours in return for five minute double restart and half a field in the wall ,I just don't get it. I had pleasant experience watching nice looking cars at Indy lights race afterwards and how people draft ,set up the pass and go side by side with open wheels an inch of each other displaying great skill of clean racing. My post wont make a difference one way or the other in down spiral of Indycar, but they seriously need to exam this product and fix it for the good of everyone who still care for the sport of open wheel formula type of racing. Ridicules indeed!
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Great post FIAT1. For the last three years, I try very hard to get myself to like IndyCars, but races like this one are a big letdown. The last race in Sonoma also had too many yellows and crashfest all the way, the race in Detroit too. In fact, nothing has changed. Street course races looked the same even before DW12. I remember the 2011 Toronto street race left me with the same feelings, and I always dreaded watching IndyCars on the streets since then. I don't know what to blame here.. the drivers, the race tracks, the cars, or the organizers? Everything is probably to blame. This race did redeem itself in the eyes of fans with the hard racing in the end, but it was not a good accomplishment overall. This is not a sellable product for the masses. Show this race to someone used to watching F1 racing, and they will ask, why do I need to watch something like this ever again?

The race craft or race tactics of drivers are often to blame. Besides the amateurs taking themselves out, like JR did in one race this year under caution, more experienced drivers regularly do dumb things too. Franchitti takes out Power in Toronto 2011, Hunter Reay spins Sato in Edmonton 2011, then Sato plows into Hunter-Reay in the pit lane in Pocono this year, now Power takes out Dixon.. this never ends.

One idea, since we know the IndyCars are crash happy, can the organizers at least do something to stop the full course cautions to keep the race flow at least on road courses, where the crashed car sits in kitty litter and is not blocking the way of other cars?

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I can't comment on the race as there was none. Amateur hour demolition derby at best. I was watching with sadness actually and trying to understand what has happened to Indycar. I'm pretty sure these ugly dallaras have allowed people to do dumb stuff. I think these cars took away the craft and skill needed to race open wheel cars. I'm trying very hard not to be negative, but this race was a disaster. There are people here who will disagree and enjoy yellow parades for two hours in return for five minute double restart and half a field in the wall ,I just don't get it. I had pleasant experience watching nice looking cars at Indy lights race afterwards and how people draft ,set up the pass and go side by side with open wheels an inch of each other displaying great skill of clean racing. My post wont make a difference one way or the other in down spiral of Indycar, but they seriously need to exam this product and fix it for the good of everyone who still care for the sport of open wheel formula type of racing. Ridicules indeed!
    No, the amateur hour demolition derby was Saturday in the ALMS race. The IndyCar race didn't quite live up to that.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover