Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Syria

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Hey it's the Democratic administration going to war this time, not the Republican one. Republicans are no angels, we all know that, but your invective is addressed to the wrong people in this case.

I also start thinking that there's no reason behind these U.S. military interventions. That's just a habit; that's what Americans do without even bothering to think about it. I mean, the British go to pub; Italians go too opera; Americans go to war.
    Llibertat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    Hey it's the Democratic administration going to war this time, not the Republican one. Republicans are no angels, we all know that, but your invective is addressed to the wrong people in this case.

I also start thinking that there's no reason behind these U.S. military interventions. That's just a habit; that's what Americans do without even bothering to think about it. I mean, the British go to pub; Italians go too opera; Americans go to war.
    Rudy, if you are addressing me and read what I have stated, it is clear that am referring to the Republican side who , when asked about timetables etcetera told us there was none and that it was ridiculous to ask. Now, when the current president sent the his plan to Congress, all we heard of were exit strategies. That was the point I was making. Living in Belarus you may not be getting the same news.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I think given the continuing situation in Libya and internal bickering over our intervention there mostly caused by intransigent Republicans the President didn't want to get involved with Syria, but also planted that red line to show there are limits to acceptable behavior for any country. Chemical weapons were a pretty obvious line and I'd be very interested to see what exactly provoked Syrian commanders to cross it, with or without Assad's direction.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    Syrian commanders
    major assumption there...
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    If you trust any Russian reporter that hasn't been murdered, I guess.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Anyone else watch the G20 press conferences?

I would say that the majority of the room is comfortable with our conclusion that Assad, the Assad government, was responsible for their use. Obviously, this is disputed by President Putin, but if you polled the leaders last night, I’m confident that you’d get a majority who said it is most likely, we are pretty confident, that the Assad regime used it.
    Comfortable with, most likely, pretty confident?

I guess the evidence wasn't really all that 100% conclusive and undeniable?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    It must be stated that the USA are the last nation who should comment on WMD. Think WW2 in Japan. Say no more.

So?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    So?
    Akin to the fact that you do not believe waterboarding is not torture. So in effect, answering the statement posed by your question would be moot.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    the world has spoke gas em!!!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Syria

Syria is a waste of time, and as much as I dislike Obama, he is in a no win situation here. The reality is, if they don't go do something about WMD use, it tells other dictators that the world will look the other way, and if he DOES do intervene, he cannot get the political capital to commit the USA to another invasion which realistically would be the only way to in theory stop the blood shed but it would involve a different blood shed, and likely get the USA nothing but grief. The Europeans do what they always do, wring their hands and pretend they are commited to make peace in the Middle East when they don't, the Brits in this case are likely doing the right thing, and everyone else is pretending how awful it is while picking sides. It is a shit sandwich and there are only losers in this one....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".