Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    Why yellow ,he was safe behind tires in run off area. Good thing they didn't f the race even more.
    I was thinking more for debris. Not saying I WANTED one!
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    Possibly, it just seemed odd, given all the other yellows for recovery. Saavedra's car wasn't exactly clear of the track, plus there was a lot of debris on the track. I don't WANT the race to end under yellow, it just seemed inconsistent.
    It's not supposed to be consistent over the course of a race. You don't wait for a yellow to naturally happen so you can recover a car on lap 10 because said car could participate in the next yellow. With 10 to go, it's easier to just maintain a local caution.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As a general rule,if you hit a crew member, the offending car will be penalized. If you hit a crewmember while that crewmember is in is own pit box, you're almost certain to get a penalty.

If you watched the entire sequence, if you recall Scott had a clear run to his pit box and was able to get to it quickly. Will was not so fortunate. and had to make a slower approach to his pit box. That was what the situation required.. Now, when Scott left his pit box, he now had an obstructed exit and it was his turn to make a slower than usual exit. Instead, he made the usual Indycar burnout style exit. When your wheels are spinning, if you turn the front wheels one way the rears tend to go the other direction, and that's what I saw happen. IMO this was not the time to exit with wheelspin. That's fine if the pit box in front of you is open, but not in this situation.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I really enjoyed the first leg of the season up to and including Indy 500, both the last and this year, but things started going downhill some time after that. The Sonoma race was very daunting to watch. Seven full course cautions on a road course? Come on. Something needs to be done about this.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    I really enjoyed the first leg of the season up to and including Indy 500, both the last and this year, but things started going downhill some time after that. The Sonoma race was very daunting to watch. Seven full course cautions on a road course? Come on. Something needs to be done about this.
    More road course full course cautions (I'm not counting ovals or streets) in one race than F1 has had in an entire season.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heliocastroneves#3
    It was the most enjoyable Sonoma race ever in my opinion... Okay 2009 might have been better but 7 yellows is needed to make this race an exciting one because we all know how boring an IndyCar race at Sonoma Raceway can be. At least there happened enough during this years' race.
    One could understand your statement when race watching can be controlled by the click of the mouse, but when you spend money and make a trip to see the race which in return is slow yellow parade is not pretty, believe me I have seen a few. Nightmares at the track for the spectators is long yellows and rain.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    One could understand your statement when race watching can be controlled by the click of the mouse, but when you spend money and make a trip to see the race which in return is slow yellow parade is not pretty, believe me I have seen a few. Nightmares at the track for the spectators is long yellows and rain.
    I completely understand you but the boring races in the past, might be the reason for that terrible crowd in Sonoma anyway... Even Homestead had a better crowd in 2010...
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    As everyone involved in the sport knows "There is no such thing as a safe place at a race track.".

However, some places are safER than others. I agree it was a good call, as opposed to the last time resulting in a yellow flag finish.
    Thanks for clarifying that.When discussing racing on the race track one would assume I was referring to race track and that was the safe place to be as any, however I sense disappointment from some that race didn't finish under yellow to keep up perfect score. Feel for you.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heliocastroneves#3
    I completely understand you but the boring races in the past, might be the reason for that terrible crowd in Sonoma anyway... Even Homestead had a better crowd in 2010...
    My dear friend ,by now you should know that terrible crowd and Indycar go hand in hand. Nothing to do with boring races ,but more with boring cars.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My dear friend ,by now you should know that terrible crowd and Indycar go hand in hand. Nothing to do with boring races ,but more with boring cars.
    And that's what I personally don't get.. Who cares about the cars, as long as the racing is great it's fine... Right? Everyone is so excited about the F1 cars and I enjoyed the Sonoma race enormously and I took a nap during the F1 race at Spa, which is according to so many people, so unbelievably exciting.. Having that said, those IndyCars have at least a great sound, it reminds me of the 80's Formula One and in Super Speedway trim, the car looks awesome in my opinion. I agree that the road/street course-short oval car is quite ugly due to the bumpers..
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.