Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll fill in the gaps for you here:

Andrew: There's no reason to run the 500 only [and not the rest of the series]! Audi always wins at Le Mans because they have the rest of the season to use as a test sessoin.

Me: Bringing prestige back to the Indy 500 is enough of a reason to allow [running only at Indy 500 and not the rest of the series]. And like Audi at Le Mans it might lead to more participation in Indycar.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heliocastroneves#3
    Americans love ovals right? Why going to add another road course event...
    debatable. I can take or leave quite a few of them. From recent attendance figures, i'm not alone.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    It's still an apples to bananas comparison. Daytona doesn't hold 2 major NASCAR races during the month of February.

If NASCAR ever made that recommendation...well we know that NASCAR values to prestige of the Daytona 500 and they would never make such a suggestion.
    Well, actually they do.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Well, actually they do.
    I wouldn't call the non-points Bud Shoot-Out (or whatever they call it now) a 'major' NASCAR race.

That said, I'd much rather see shoot out style sprint race than a full fledged road race at the Speedway in the month of May.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Doug Boles: Tearing up road course within 10 days, a little redesign & repaving.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Indycars will start turning right at Indy?

Running counter-clockwise on the road course
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQinbPCc9w

Running clockwise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k-mp5SdHPk

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Maybe you and Fiat1 read it that way. I see no problem with them trying to find a way to make some money.

Gary
    Correct, road race on crap track with slow ugly bumper car and making money somehow doesn't sound right ,but I did say go for it. I hope it works, but lets be real. RA on labor day weekend would be much better investment in my opinion.
    For a guy who supposedly likes Indycars, you have an awful opinion of them...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I think the idea is a bad one if they don't do it in the fall, but I also think I can understand why they would be tempted. They need the revenue to keep the doors open. It is why I am not overly bent out of shape. At this point, they have little left to lose. I think the idea wont work, but hey, I will watch. I like Indycar. Would I like it if the series was opened up to more manufacturers and the rules were more open? Hell ya...but economics have dictated the mess the series is in, and that goes back to the split. It always does....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all depends on how much more disappointment the series can stand for.

They can dump a lot into promoting an Indy road course and not have it attract the locals - not a big deal - but if people do not come from all around, it might be a little embarrassing. I'd rather they try it than not at all. Take the chance.

In fact, if I had any say, I'd love to see the facility used for competition every weekend of the year. Enduro karts, SCCA divisions of all kinds, Historics, Invitationals, Tuner meets, etc... heck, groom snow pack for snow mobiles in the winter for all I care. Just keep it going. It doesn't have to be overly formal to be really cool.

If IMS wants to be a recognized as a center for motorsport, a trio of races isn't going to cut it.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Much ado about nothing.
    What else did you expect on the internet?

Maybe YOU want to see the patient die, but don't suppose for a moment that "we" share your thoughts.
    How sad for those people who have nothing better to do with their days than hope to see racing fail.