Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    What's the problem? I'm not a fan of the infield layout as it stands, but that doesn't mean it's an unreasonable idea. Aggregate the points from the two and have a "King of Indy", maybe stage it later in the season to keep interest up if the championship is otherwise decided. In the modern age, using an asset so infrequently is crazy (ask Athens). Unless the track can find someone with bottomless pockets to fund operations in perpetuity, which is a far bigger risk to long term security than any worries about loss of prestige, it has to move into the modern age. Prestige is nice, but only if it adds to the bottom line. It's also far too often conflated with history. Singapore is a prestige venue for F1, yet it has minimal history. Conversely, the Hungaroring (or Estoril, or Magny Cours, or even Montreal) has far more history, yet no prestige whatsoever. Being old doesn't give a venue the right to ignore market forces. If the market decides Indy as is (facilities, business case, investment potential etc) is no longer viable, it's no longer viable. As the revenue dries up, maintaining the facility becomes ever more expensive until all those concerned decide to cut their losses and walk away, at which point you have a history and little else, save probably a new shopping mall or a housing development with prestige street names. Perhaps a museum if you're lucky. Ask Brooklands.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    NASCAR doesn't run the road course at Daytona. So your analogy is completely unlike Indycars running the road course at Indy.
    No, but they race on the oval twice. Would that work better for you?
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Don't put words into my mouth. I said I do NOT think this in anyway takes away anything from the Indy 500. I think you are wrong in assuming that it does.

Gary
    This will only further demonstrate how little people care for Indycar and show that they could line up 33 Priuses on the Sunday before Memorial Day and have the same turn out. Indycar on the road course is like Indycar on Versus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeyedgomer
    This will only further demonstrate how little people care for Indycar and show that they could line up 33 Priuses on the Sunday before Memorial Day and have the same turn out. Indycar on the road course is like Indycar on Versus

Maybe you and Fiat1 read it that way. You state it as if it were a fact. I and others see it as Indycar's attempt to pump some attention and interest into the sport. Indycar on the road course is a second opportunity to generate revenue for a track that obviously needs the revenue, and an opportunity to garner some buzz in the media. The family kissed Bernie's ass and did a huge, i.e. EXPENSIVE, makeover of the facility, paid him an even more huge sanctioning fee only to have him effectively walk away before they had a chance to recoup the investment. I see no problem with them trying to find a way to make some money.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Maybe you and Fiat1 read it that way. You state it as if it were a fact. I and others see it as Indycar's attempt to pump some attention and interest into the sport. Indycar on the road course is a second opportunity to generate revenue for a track that obviously needs the revenue, and an opportunity to garner some buzz in the media. The family kissed Bernie's ass and did a huge, i.e. EXPENSIVE, makeover of the facility, paid him an even more huge sanctioning fee only to have him effectively walk away before they had a chance to recoup the investment. I see no problem with them trying to find a way to make some money.

Gary
    The family can't market a fur coat to an Inuit. The road course and the rounded rectangle combine to make a suckass road race.

THey ain't gone to invest any of the proceeds into the facility, it will still decay. Twiddling thumbs til '16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The family can't market a fur coat to an Inuit. The road course and the rounded rectangle combine to make a suckass road race.

THey ain't gone to invest any of the proceeds into the facility, it will still decay.
    Again you state this as if it were fact. If your assertions are true, then its time to padlock the place. Oh wait, that's exactly what you want to happen, right?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It would only matter what I want if I had the keys.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you had been an Indycar fan for more than 6 months, you would know that what you or any other fan wants is immaterial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you had been an Indycar fan for more than 6 months, you would know that what you or any other fan wants is immaterial
    Loose the patronizing tone. You have no idea how long I have been an Indycar or Indy 500 fan.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe you and Fiat1 read it that way. I see no problem with them trying to find a way to make some money.

Gary
    Correct, road race on crap track with slow ugly bumper car and making money somehow doesn't sound right ,but I did say go for it. I hope it works, but lets be real. RA on labor day weekend would be much better investment in my opinion.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!