Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Exclamation New Speedway president asked to 'save our track'

New Speedway president asked to 'save our track'

One thing is certain. The famed Brickyard is at a critical crossroads.

It may still host the Greatest Spectacle in Racing—the Indianapolis 500—but many race fans have told me it’s no longer a venue worthy of such an event. They say it’s not anywhere close. And now it’s up to Boles—and his boss, Mark Miles—to do something about it.

Race fans complain the Speedway is a “turn-off” that is hurting attendance at the IMS’ cash-cow event, the Indy 500 in May.

Racing insiders also tell me the vaunted Speedway, despite its history and gargantuan size, is second-tier compared with the soon-to-be-renovated Daytona International Speedway and the new Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, which hosts a major Formula One race, among others.

Although the Indiana General Assembly this year voted to give the Speedway a $100 million tax break over 20 years for needed repairs and upgrades, some think it won’t be nearly enough. The IMS has agreed to kick in another $40 million over the same period, but that total still pales in comparison to the $400 million Daytona International Speedway is pouring into its facility.

One racing industry executive called the IMS’ condition “horrendous.” An executive with one of the IndyCar Series’ corporate partners said that on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the best sports facility, “the Speedway would get a three.”

“The luster is gone from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,” said former race car driver Derek Daly, who now serves as a racing analyst for WISH-TV Channel 8. “It creates an unattractive sports platform for commercial sponsors to get involved. The problems will take years to fix. The sooner they get started the better.”
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What I can't understand is how they totally screwed up getting folks into the speedway on race day after 100 years to figure it out. It took me 2-1/2 hours to get my ticket at will call and get in the gate. What a cluster. As Mark C reported, it was such chaos at will call with fights and such that the state police were finally called to restore order. I arrived at the gate an hour and a half before the race and missed over half of it. We finally got to our seats at lap 103. Ridiculous. And this wasn't my first rodeo...I've been going for years and never had any problem even approaching this year's mess. Probably will just stay home from now on.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The family is coasting to 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was planning on making a facetious claim that the tax payers needed to pay for upgrades to the track or the race will move to a new city. I guess I wasn't that far off.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I posted after Indy race this year on how place looks old and rust all over the place. Thinking that these people don't see that for televised main event is beyond me. Well, every family has generation of builders and generation that squanders the wealth I guess. I hope that someone who loves the place and top level type a racing would purchase the place for sake of everyone who loves Indy and Indycar.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeyedgomer
    The family is coasting to 2016
    I'm not sure about 2016, but IMO when Mari is gone the property goes on the market.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    I'm not sure about 2016, but IMO when Mari is gone the property goes on the market.
    That is the scheduled 100th 500

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeyedgomer
    That is the scheduled 100th 500
    Yes, I know. Assumed you meant that'll also be the end. I meant that the family will close the doors when Mari goes - regardless of date.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    . . . IMO when Mari is gone the property goes on the market.
    Yep. And Mari will be 79 years old in December.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14
    Yep. And Mari will be 79 years old in December.
    Lots of gin and tonic make a good preservative. Just saying... she hasn't aged in 50 years