Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I dont know anything that I have done on July 15th.

Anyway happy anniversary D Type and happy Birthday Pino.

Wishing you both well.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote View Post
    tillykke med fødselsdagen
    Is it posible to pronounce this without knotting the tongue?

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Thanks steve !

Gadjo, Danish is easier than you think
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    15th July 1964 - The first edition of "The Australian" is published and the second generation of that prize grot of a family begins their own media empire.
    "The Australian" was started by man who loves the country of his birth so much, that he tore up the passport of the country that he came from. It's perhaps fitting that one of his former column writers is now the Prime Minister.

Dark day.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    July 15th is also St Swithun's Day

The name of Swithun is best known today for a British proverb, which says that if it rains on Saint Swithun's day, 15 July, it will rain for 40 days.

St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
    For forty days it will remain
    St Swithun's day if thou be fair
    For forty days 'twill rain nae mare
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

6. Likes: Tazio (15th July 2014)
    Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    On July 15th 1997, king of fashion Gianni Versace, was murdered at Miami Beach.
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    July 15 2010:

After 86 days of gushing oil into the Gulf of Mexico and several previous attempts to contain the flow, BP caps its leaking oil well.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    July 16, 1969 at right about my current time, Apollo 11 leaves the earth, with the intentions of placing a human on the moon.

A period of great ambition in space flights, the mission was the final step in the challenge issues by President Kennedy in a 1961 speech

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important in the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish."

Though the Apollo 11 mission was successful, placing a man on the mood did sadly bear a cost in the form of human life. Three astronauts died in 1967 as the result of a fire while testing the command module. If anything it gave the leadership even more motivation to fulfill the goals set by the President.

Gene Kranz was one of the people at NASA during this period, and was at the helm as flight director when the Eagle landed on the surface of the moon. Years later he became well known for his role in the Apollo 13 problems. His leadership earlier in the program was just as strong, and I consider him one of the great achievers and leaders of his time. He is way up on my list of people I'd like to meet.

After the Apollo 1 fire, Kranz addressed his team at NASA with the below, which would come to be known as "The Kranz Dictum"

”Spaceflight will never tolerate carelessness, incapacity, and neglect. Somewhere, somehow, we screwed up. It could have been in design, build, or test. Whatever it was, we should have caught it. We were too gung ho about the schedule and we locked out all of the problems we saw each day in our work. Every element of the program was in trouble and so were we. The simulators were not working, Mission Control was behind in virtually every area, and the flight and test procedures changed daily. Nothing we did had any shelf life. Not one of us stood up and said, ‘Dammit, stop!’ I don’t know what Thompson’s committee will find as the cause, but I know what I find. We are the cause! We were not ready! We did not do our job. We were rolling the dice, hoping that things would come together by launch day, when in our hearts we knew it would take a miracle. We were pushing the schedule and betting that the Cape would slip before we did.

From this day forward, Flight Control will be known by two words: ‘Tough’ and ‘Competent.’ Tough means we are forever accountable for what we do or what we fail to do. We will never again compromise our responsibilities. Every time we walk into Mission Control we will know what we stand for. Competent means we will never take anything for granted. We will never be found short in our knowledge and in our skills. Mission Control will be perfect. When you leave this meeting today you will go to your office and the first thing you will do there is to write ‘Tough and Competent’ on your blackboards. It will never be erased. Each day when you enter the room these words will remind you of the price paid by Grissom, White, and Chaffee. These words are the price of admission to the ranks of Mission Control.”