Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZIANracing
    Metcalfe was a gifted man, unbelievably quick in FWD cars, a sad loss.
    Some of the most outstanding drives I can recall have been in underpowered front-wheel-drive rally cars. See also Jean Ragnotti in the Renault 11 Turbo on the 1987 Portuguese Rally, Pentti Airikkala in the Astra GTE on the 1987 Manx, Louise Aitken-Walker in the Peugeot 205 GTi on the 1987 RAC, and of course Stig Blomqvist in the Skoda Felicia on the 1996 RAC. All absolutely brilliant. Who says such cars are boring to watch?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Some of the most outstanding drives I can recall have been in underpowered front-wheel-drive rally cars. See also Jean Ragnotti in the Renault 11 Turbo on the 1987 Portuguese Rally, Pentti Airikkala in the Astra GTE on the 1987 Manx, Louise Aitken-Walker in the Peugeot 205 GTi on the 1987 RAC, and of course Stig Blomqvist in the Skoda Felicia on the 1996 RAC. All absolutely brilliant. Who says such cars are boring to watch?
    And don't forget Eric Carlsson in the SAAB, admittedly he sometimes had a class handicap to help, but not often.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    And don't forget Eric Carlsson in the SAAB. admittedly he sometimes he had a class handicap to help, but not often.
    Ah, but he was winning quite a lot of the time!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anything can be spectacular when it is driven properly. I would rather watch one R2 car on the limit than 10 WRC cars driven at 7/10ths.
    Another one of my favourite drives was Damien McCarthy on the West Cork 2011. 3rd overall in a 1600 Civic.

West Cork Rally 2011 - Damien McCarthy & Eamon Hayes - SS12 - YouTube

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Damon Hill 1997 Hungarian GP. Stunning drive in an absolute dog of a car, dominated the weekend would have won easily, but for a 3rd party piece of engineering letting him down, something in the hydraulics, and was overtaken on the last lap by Villeneuve to finish 3rd (after Schumi had overtaken him a couple of laps earlier). Should have been Arrows first and only win

6. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Playing Devils Advocate, it is my opinion that Hill was the beneficiary of factors which have always been overlooked or played down.

The Bridgestone tyres that he was using were, I suspect, the best tyre to be on that day. For sure, he made good use of them, but he had a major tyre advantage.

In many ways, it compares to Maldanados race win last year, where a specific car and a specific set-up worked.

Of course, no other Bridgestone runner was competitive, but at that time Hill was the only one who could be considered capable. Panis was injured, Trulli New and Diniz distinctly third rate. Nakano about the same.

So, for me, a good drive, an unlucky one, but not necessarily one of the best.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    james cullen on the 1988 donegal rally
    was absoloutley flying in a opel ascona

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Re: Favourite Non-Winning Drive?

As far as F1 goes, I'm choosing the Hill 2nd place at Hungary. I don't care about the factors contributing to it. It would've been great had the result meant that it wasn't valid for this thread. It would've been a more thrilling result than the Belgian GP win.

I remember being impressed by a 3rd place from Fisichella at Spa in the Benetton, in 2001 iirc. Not that often I was impressed by Fisi.

10. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    2 drives simultaneously - Villeneuve and Arnoux
    What racing is all about. Probably the most intense, fair and exciting pair of drives in the history of the sport.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    There are so many from which to choose. Although Chris Amon in the 1972 French GP, springs to mind....
    Given the title of the thread one could be forgiven to mistake the subject matter being entirely formulated to Amon.

Aside from what has already been mentioned; Dijon 79', Clark/Monza, Nuvolari/Millie Miglia, I would add Amon's last laps at Spa in 70' while chasing Rodriguez. He decided to take the Masta Kink flat-out and gained 2 seconds in the closing laps finishing just over 1sec behind. Later stating he was satisified since Spa was no joke and finishing a race (at those consistent speeds) on such a track was in itself an achievement...
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On