Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts

Favourite Non-Winning Drive?

Another question to the Forum.

Which was your favourite, most highly-rated, non-victorious drive in motorsport?

It doesn't have to involve leading the race, it doesn't have to be a drive that saw defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

Although it can, should you wish.

My starter? Jean Alesi at Paul Ricard in 1989. Grand Prix debut, ran second, finished fourth.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

2. Likes: AAReagles (29th July 2015)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    2 drives simultaneously - Villeneuve and Arnoux
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Schumacher Brazil 2006, he was flying in that race.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    There are so many from which to choose. Although Chris Amon in the 1972 French GP, springs to mind — he should have won it at something of a canter, but a puncture intervened; to come back to finish third was quite an achievement — I will go for some examples in rallying, seeing as no-one else has.

Jean Ragnotti in the 1987 Portuguese Rally is one. A stunning drive to challenge Alen's Lancia in the very unpromising Renault 11 Turbo. To lead on gravel in a car giving away over 100hp and two driving wheels was spectacular and delightful. Then there are two Stig Blomqvist performances in lesser cars, on the 1983 Swedish Rally in the Audi 80 quattro and, of course, the 1996 RAC in the Skoda Felicia. And who could forget Tony Pond's efforts in inferior equipment on so many occasions, not least the 1985 RAC with the Metro 6R4?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    2 drives simultaneously - Villeneuve and Arnoux
    People often forget that Jabouille took the Renault turbo's first win that day.
    During the last few laps, everybody's attention was on Villeneuve and Arnoux, overtaking one another repeatedly, banging wheels and locking brakes. Irresponsible to a few, but exhilerating to most!!
    Villeneuve later described it as "my best memory of Grand Prix racing."
    "A racing car has only one objective: to win motor races. If it does not do this it is nothing but a waste of time, money, and effort" - Colin Chapman

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    1997 Hungarian GP... Damon Hill... second.

Although Hill had started third, by about lap 10 pr so, he'd overtaken both Villeneuve's Williams and Schumacher's Ferrari and put his Arrows into the lead. He would have given Arrows their only GP victory save for a 50p washer failure and ended up coasting to second, with Villeneuve dipping wheels into the dirt to overtake him on the very last lap.

Damon Hill wins almost Hungaroring 1997 - YouTube
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

8. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvettian
    People often forget that Jabouille took the Renault turbo's first win that day.
    During the last few laps, everybody's attention was on Villeneuve and Arnoux, overtaking one another repeatedly, banging wheels and locking brakes. Irresponsible to a few, but exhilerating to most!!
    Villeneuve later described it as "my best memory of Grand Prix racing."
    I have good cause to remember JPJ's win at Dijon - it won me £100! British bookmakers had just begun to offer odds on F1 and went entirely on form with no thought of potential. I reasoned that if there was one GP that Renault would have prepared for their best shot it was France. So when I found odds of 100-1 for JPJ it was a no-brainer. A quid stake was a significant amount of cash for me in 79 .
    Amon's Cleremont drive was high on my list as is Clark - Monza 67.
    In 2009 I got Rene A to autograph a shot of him interlocked with Gilles from Dijon.As he signed he had a broad grin and said ' the best race ever'.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Could I nominate another?

Suzuka 1997, Eddie Irvine.

A superb example of team-tactics, expertly executed.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Mansell at Donington 1998 in the BTCC. Started 19th and went on to claim the lead after the safety car before finishing just off the podium.

[youtube]9F6cXtaMSIw[/youtube]
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

12. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    Mansell at Donington 1998 in the BTCC. Started 19th and went on to claim the lead after the safety car before finishing just off the podium.
    Yes, another that rates highly. There would have been hell to pay if Mansell had won on the road, given his blatant pass of Muller under the safety car.