Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    When petroleum does run out the world’s population will have exploded to the point that providing sufficient energy to everyone to sustain a reasonable lifestyle will be impossible.

Even today “alternative” energy sources simply don’t even come close to providing the output necessary to maintain today’s population at the same levels as burning hydrocarbons does.

Quite simply, there is only one energy source that can provide similar energy output levels but its consequences, as demonstrated a couple of years ago in Japan, make it unattractive to most.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Indeed. problem is the oil companies has squashed many attempts already at alternative solutions to oil (they must have a vault with patents they have bought people out for) and until they really start running out of oil, they wont look at alternatives for now either.
    A selfish and potentially dangerous attitude.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    That's why I've always said governments need to control their populations. Why some people feel the need to have 5,6,7,8,9,10 children etc and overpopulate the earth is beyond me
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    A selfish and potentially dangerous attitude.
    Indeed it is, but sadly, a reality.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    When petroleum does run out the world’s population will have exploded to the point that providing sufficient energy to everyone to sustain a reasonable lifestyle will be impossible.
    We may think that now, but one must surely live in the hope that, as advances are made to bring about viable alternatives to fossil fuels, so other advances will allow us to consume less energy while performing the same tasks.

That's why I've always said governments need to control their populations. Why some people feel the need to have 5,6,7,8,9,10 children etc and overpopulate the earth is beyond me
    Freedom of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Freedom of choice.
    Is often a bad thing when people are involved

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    That's one of the major issues with the energy problem and, as pointed out earlier in this thread, the problem with fresh water. In fact, all natural resources are finite. Over population is the biggest long term problem facing mankind. I don't think it's the governments that should control this - encourage restraint for sure though. I fault most of the world's major religions for telling people to go out and breed like roaches.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It's because of the demographic transition model. GCSE Geography stuff
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    By then we would have found a viable solution. Look what we've done in the last 100 years. From riding on horses to the invention of the motorcar to putting a man in space, a robot on Mars etc. Finding a solution to replace oil will only take will (the oil companies are obviously against alternatives for now), the science is already there to take us forward now someone just needs to perfect it and do it.

We will be fine without oil one day
    There are already lots of alternatives available.
    In fact we could live without oil right now if we really wanted it.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro