Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    I'd be more concerned with dumping the byproduct of Baggy's proposal...
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    On-Line Electric Vehicle (OLEV)
    The OLEV system doesn’t need charging stations because the vehicle is charged wirelessly in real time while running on the road. Since its battery capacity also is reduced to 20% of that of a typical pure electric vehicle, the OLEV is regarded as an enabling technology to speed up the commercialization of electric vehicles.
    The OLEV technology was successfully applied and demonstrated in Seoul Grand Park by installing about 400m of power cables on 2.2km circular track and operating an OLEV tram. Furthermore, KAIST Wireless Power Transfer Research Center has decided to launch the electrification projects in Park City, Utah, United States and Kuala Lumpur Airport, Malaysia.

Is this a possible answer to charging station problems with electric cars... don't have any?

Sure, it's going to require a massive investment in infrastructure but it at least addresses the issue of transportabilty of energy.
    Clarkson pointed out that the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric, couldn't go very far on a charge but if it was constantly being charged whilst being driven - problem sorted.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Yes, but desalination on a mass scale, typically done by reverse osmosis, requires a huge amount of energy, and is a very expensive process.
    True, but if everyone in the world was going to die due to a lack of fresh water, would we say to ourselves "well we will have to die then because it costs too much money to save ourselves"? I don't think so, when the chips are down there is always money to be found.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    True, but if everyone in the world was going to die due to a lack of fresh water, would we say to ourselves "well we will have to die then because it costs too much money to save ourselves"? I don't think so, when the chips are down there is always money to be found.
    Elevate the water using a wind turbine , and use gravity for the reverse osmosis .

I'd be more concerned with dumping the byproduct of Baggy's proposal...
    That's a cute , throw away comment .

The byproduct of the poop is rich soil .
    The only thing missing from the mix is a little poop to make it the perfect medium to grow the world's food .
    Let's call it a second product .

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    On-Line Electric Vehicle (OLEV)
    The OLEV system doesn’t need charging stations because the vehicle is charged wirelessly in real time while running on the road. Since its battery capacity also is reduced to 20% of that of a typical pure electric vehicle, the OLEV is regarded as an enabling technology to speed up the commercialization of electric vehicles.
    The OLEV technology was successfully applied and demonstrated in Seoul Grand Park by installing about 400m of power cables on 2.2km circular track and operating an OLEV tram. Furthermore, KAIST Wireless Power Transfer Research Center has decided to launch the electrification projects in Park City, Utah, United States and Kuala Lumpur Airport, Malaysia.

Is this a possible answer to charging station problems with electric cars... don't have any?

Sure, it's going to require a massive investment in infrastructure but it at least addresses the issue of transportabilty of energy.
    Clarkson pointed out that the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric, couldn't go very far on a charge but if it was constantly being charged whilst being driven - problem sorted.
    The cost of that would far outweigh the cost of having charging stations. However you could see it working for the likes of public transport which follows set routes. However the cost of putting the cables under the road is a problem for cost and maintenance, better to have the wires overhead, and the easiest way to make sure the vehicle stays in line with the wires is to run it on tracks.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    Elevate the water using a wind turbine , and use gravity for the reverse osmosis .
    Perhaps, but reverse osmosis requires forcing sea water at high pressure through filters. I’m not convinced that gravity alone will provide sufficient pressure. Not to mention that likely hundreds of wind turbines would be required to power the pumps needed to move the huge amount of water.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Perhaps, but reverse osmosis requires forcing sea water at high pressure through filters. I’m not convinced that gravity alone will provide sufficient pressure. Not to mention that likely hundreds of wind turbines would be required to power the pumps needed to move the huge amount of water.
    Don't you have the old Beatty Pumper squeaking away in your area ?
    That's all that was needed to elevate the water in the old days .
    The old farm homesteads around here often have the relics still standing , and the remnants of the old water tanks as well .

Reverse osmosis is used in many home water filtration systems , and it is fed with water from the old standard , the water tower .

But then , if you don't believe in gravity , then , well , I'm not sure what to say .

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    That's why I've always said governments need to control their populations. Why some people feel the need to have 5,6,7,8,9,10 children etc and overpopulate the earth is beyond me
    You do realize most of the nations of Western Europe and developed world are not having enough kids even to replace themselves? The only reason most nations are growing at all is massive influxes of immigrants from places like India, the Middle East and all of THOSE people within a generation will likely do what we are doing. Not have enough kids to replace themselves....
    Technology and democracy in First world nations are bringing the planet population control, the problem is poorer nations are going to have lots of kids because if you are farming in a low tech manner, you need workers...hence all the kids.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    You've overlooked the most pertinent point. None of the currently available alternatives are economically competitive with fossil fuel. Nor are most of them competitive from a daily practical point either. Change that equation and it won't make any difference what Big Oil wants.
    Stop making sense now....this is the biggest myth going. That BIG oil wants to supress good ideas. The fact is, they likely are working on new technologies themselves. They may not want to give up selling us oil, and wont have to, but don't be foolish kids, they are working on the next big thing as well. The other reality is other multinational giants would love to take some of the money going to big oil. You think General Electric, Boeing, the Car Makers and utility companies wouldn't love to find a working electric car that kicks ass? Safer nuclear reactor systems? How about plastics companies such as Dupont finding cheaper ways to make their product? Oil is so cheap relatively to where it will have to be before WE are begging to get off the treadmill that there is no urgency yet. As the oil prices rise above inflation, the market will be there for alternatives and people will find ways to fill it. That is the capitalist system, and the oil companies will not be able to stop it....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".