Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Books on Technical Fundamentals for Motorsports Historians

I am interested in learning about motorsports history, particularly with regard to sports car and open wheel racing from the post-war period through the 1970s. I have Frere's book, Sports Car and Competition Driving, which describes some of the technical aspects of motorsports driving, and I am looking for something that covers the fundamentals of how cars (and affiliated equipment such as tires) were designed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. On Amazon.com, I see plenty of books on modern automotive engineering, but I suspect that those will omit discussion of what are now obsolete ideas and approaches. Does anyone have any suggestions for books covering the technical fundamentals of post-war era high performance automotive engineering?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Two that come to mind are:
    The Technique of Motor Racing - Piero Taruffi (1959)
    Racing and Sports Car Chassis design - Mike Costin (1971)
    I haven't read either of them as I'm not that interested in technicalities. But both are well spoken of. As well as being a top level driver, Taruffi was also a qualified engineer. And Mike Costin should not need any introduction. so i would expect the book to be knowledgeable.
    Then there's 'The Grand Prix Car' by Lawrence Pomeroy. Volume 1 is prewar while Volume 2 is postwar up to about 1955.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Two that come to mind are:
    The Technique of Motor Racing - Piero Taruffi (1959)
    Racing and Sports Car Chassis design - Mike Costin (1971)
    I haven't read either of them as I'm not that interested in technicalities. But both are well spoken of. As well as being a top level driver, Taruffi was also a qualified engineer. And Mike Costin should not need any introduction. so i would expect the book to be knowledgeable.
    Then there's 'The Grand Prix Car' by Lawrence Pomeroy. Volume 1 is prewar while Volume 2 is postwar up to about 1955.
    Thanks very much! The Costin book looks especially helpful.

I forgot about Design And Behaviour Of the Racing Car - Stirling Moss and Laurence Pomeroy (1963).
    Duncan Rollo

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Odd things do seem to wind up on the bookshelf from time to time, in part because my interest in the nuts & bolts and technical minutiae is next to zero: I am a historian and not an engineer. So, here are a few titles that I found on one of the shelves of my office...

Niki Lauda, The Art and Science of Grand Prix Driving (1977)
    Sal Incandela, The Anatomy & Development of the Formula One Racing Car from 1975 (New Edition) (1984)
    Ian Bamsey, The Anatomy & Development of the Sports Prototype Racing Car (1991)
    Doug Nye, Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-65 (1993)
    Doug Nye, Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1966-91 (1992)
    Denis Jenkinson, The Racing Driver: The Theory and Practice of Fast Driving (1958)
    Denis Jenkinson, A Story of Formula 1 (1960)

There are probably a few others of similar focus elsewhere on the shelves, plus a few more on "Indy Cars" and stock cars.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks to you all, again. D-Type, I will definitely put the Moss & Pomeroy book on my wishlist, and Don, your suggestion of Lauda's book cannot be passed up (and the others look good too).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks very much! The Costin book should be very helpful for me.
    cheap cycling jersey at http://www.cycling-wear.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Laurence Pomeroy "Grand Prix Car" vols 1&2 are good but a bit expensive. The sequel "The Grand Prix Car 1954 to 1966" by L.J.K.Setright is much easier to find, cheaper, and just as good.

I'm hijacking this thread (moderator's privilege ) rather than start a new one.

Yesterday, in a charity shop I found an autographed copy of Robert Edwards' Stirling Moss biography. So, I now have a spare unautographed hardback copy - if anyone in UK would like to offer another book as a swap please PM me.

Then we'll (or rather I will) have to bring this thread back on topic, namely books covering technical history.

oversteer & donymo, There are also all the one make histories, some of which will cover the technical development of individual marques while some focus more on races and personalities. So, if you can, have a look at the books first and check.
    Duncan Rollo