Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd
    Wasn't the RED car based on a Merkur XR4Ti and the lessons learned used in the development of the Sierra Cosworth?
    I think that applied more to the Andy Rouse race Merkur in the BTCC.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FAL
    I think that applied more to the Andy Rouse race Merkur in the BTCC.
    +1

Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Henderson
    Louise finished 2nd o/a to David Llewellyn 1984 Peter Russek Rally
    Results at http://rallyresults.org/History/1984...nuals_1984.pdf
    Tynemouth Computer Services http://www.tynecomp.co.uk

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    That RED car was neither (it wasn't a homologated Sierra XR4x4).
    The proper XR4x4 was GpA and GpN homologated.
    The Sierra Cosworth was GpN, A and B (and the RS500 GpA for racing but not permitted in rallying).
    The Sierra Saphire and Saphire 4x4 were GpN and A.
    The RED Sierra was termed the '4T' or something similar.

The Sierra RS Cosworth was briefly homologated into Group B so as to allow the model to compete on international rallies, once 200 examples were produced. The Group A and N homologations followed once the production run reached 5000.

It is amazing that Ford did not develop a four wheel drive version of the Sierra RS Cosworth from the outset, it would have been ideally suited for rallying when Group A became the premier class in 1987.

The 2.9 XR4X4 was always going to be too heavy to be effective.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    The RS Cosworth was homologated in GpB to permit the 3 1986 Sierra Championship contenders who wanted to to compete in the 1986 RAC Rally. Not sure any other GpB entries were ever made once GpA was achieved not much more than a month later.
    The XR4x4 did pretty well on its first event in GpA (87 Monte) - until it was pointed out Ford had not homologated the "option/alternative production" injection (K and L Jetronic) and Blomqvist was excluded. The 2.8/2.9i engine could not be made to develop enough power under the original GpA regs to be fully competitive (I know someone who tried with a Capri...).
    Sure there were 2 RED cars - one 2wd before the 4wd one.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    The XR4x4 did pretty well on its first event in GpA (87 Monte) - until it was pointed out Ford had not homologated the "option/alternative production" injection (K and L Jetronic) and Blomqvist was excluded.
    Followed by an even better — and very spectacular — performance in Sweden, which would have netted a higher placing had it not been for gearbox problems. That, I think, was the last works XR4x4 outing on a WRC event, the 1987 New Zealand and 1988 Swedish entries being non-works?

I too am surprised it took Ford so long to develop a 4x4 version of the Cosworth. Any ideas why?

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I too am surprised it took Ford so long to develop a 4x4 version of the Cosworth. Any ideas why?
    I guess the slow momentum (for financial approvals) of Ford as a large company. I forget what Turner says in his book. The Cosworth was very much approved with racing in mind rather than rallying, just as the Lotus Cortina was before it (and that took the best part of 3 years to get an alternative rear end homologated, replacing Chapman's A frame that was no better for racing and a complete and utter disaster for rallying - and road car warranty claims!).