Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

F1 back in Austria in 2014

Formula 1 - Austria set to host F1 again in 2014 - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

As someone who was born and raised in Austria and pretty much grew up on F1 on ORF coverage, I have mixed feelings about the return of F1 to Austira.
    Yes I am a glad to see another race on the calendar, which as the way things stand we are looking at a 21 race season?
    But No, I hate that perversion of a track they call Red bull ring now.

unless between now and then they plan to lengthen the track, then we could see sub 1:05 lap times with these F1 cars
    Hockenheim and the old glorious track layout of the Österreichring, this new track is even more of an abomination than the new hockenheim

We will see...thoughts?
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Perversion of a track - well said I doubt somebody disagrees with that.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    As someone who never saw a race at the old Osterreichring I never had any problems with the A-1 Ring. I wonder if Coulthard will take off Mika on lap 1 again?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Scene of a very long thread on this forum as I recall!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Red Bull ring - possibly the worst name i have heard for a race track. Makes Simply Sausages Donington Park sound good!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree, no offence to Austrians everywhere but it is a complete bore of a track compared to what it once was

But there is one big omission I noticed from the 2014 provisional list, Where is Suzuka?
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    I remember that the A1 Ring races between 1997 and 2003 were usually quite entertaining in a time when utterly boring races were the norm, so I can't quite see the reason for all this negativity. Unless some people punch the hate button instinctively at the mere mentioning of the words 'Red' and 'Bull' I see no reason to damn a track before it even hosted its first event?

We are never going to see tracks like the Nordschleife, Bern-Bremgarten, the old Österreichring or old Hockenheim again. In today's day and age, where everything has to be hyper-safe, so that nature can't weed out the sick and the stupid anymore, we'll have to make do with tracks like the RB-Ring and Tilke'd Hockenheim. So we can just as well try to make the best of it.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I like the A1 Ring more than old Hockenheim. At least the A1 ring isn't just sprints between chicanes. Anyway, a welcome return for me, obviously not Osterreichring but still a nice flowing and picturesque circuit. Unless they've paved the entire countryside with tarmac run-off.

I enjoy how it's a short lap and doesn't have too many corners - makes it unique from all the current tracks that try squeezing in 20 corners in 5km.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    I agree, no offence to Austrians everywhere but it is a complete bore of a track compared to what it once was

But there is one big omission I noticed from the 2014 provisional list, Where is Suzuka?
    http://www.f1-fansite.com/2014-f1-calendar/

10-12 October. Unless the link I provided is incorrect. Shame about Bahrain provisionally opening the season.

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Yes, it is a shame the Red Bull Ring is not the old Osterreichring.

Like Spa isn't the old Spa, Monza isn't the old Monza.

Silverstone has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick