Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    This is a film for children.
    Which worldwide disaster movie in the history of cinema would you say is strictly for adults?

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden

The monster in Cloverfield is a reimagination of Godzilla, just as many other monsters have been. In the same way, the original Godzilla in the 1950s may have been inspired by something else.
    The original "King Kong" movie, 1933, and later "Mighty Joe Young" in 1949. Interesting that both movies were made by the same creative team at that time.
    I give you your 'inspiration'.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Though not technically a disaster movie, I liked 'A Boy and His Dog'. Starred Don Johnson, I think before he did the TV show 'Miami Vice'.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veeten
    The original "King Kong" movie, 1933, and later "Mighty Joe Young" in 1949. Interesting that both movies were made by the same creative team at that time.
    I give you your 'inspiration'.
    That is the point. You will find similarities between every story and script ever written. There is no longer an absolutely, completely original idea. You don't even have to dig much deeper and you will find something similar that was done before in the same or another culture. Originality these days has pretty much boiled down to how much can you modify or add to the existing idea.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    The belief that there is no way to develop and introduce new ideas or concepts is not a new one (either). This belief has been around for a few thousand years:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

I do not subscribe to this belief. It excuses lazy thinking and unimaginative writing. I have not seen this movie and I'm not talking about it, in particular. But in general terms, modern Hollywood relies heavily on focus groups to determine which storyline will have the broadest appeal... and make the most money. Movies will sometimes have alternate endings shot, just so the one that has the broadest appeal can be inserted into the movie. Hollywood is not so concerned with having original storylines or scripts. I seldom watch Hollywood movies any longer. I just can't afford to damage what few functioning brain cells I have left. But every now & again I will watch an independent film which blows my mind. One example was Incendies. I can't say that I enjoyed it - to say that would suggest that there really is something wrong with me. But it was a movie that reached inside me and touched parts of my soul that I didn't even know existed. While war, rape, torture, star-crossed love, death and incest are not entirely unique concepts, when combined in an amazingly well written script, with excellent acting, the viewer may find himself in a state of confusion, if not distress, after viewing such a movie. And at least for me, that is a sure sign that I have seen something pretty darn unique.

But movies like Incendies are not made for the LCD (least common denominator) and they tend not to make a lot of money. So that's why Hollywood does not/cannot/will not make them. Bang bang, boom boom and plenty of CGI special effects are the way of the day now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzNh1nlJWc
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Which worldwide disaster movie in the history of cinema would you say is strictly for adults?
    Does The Road count?

I would just prefer movies and characters to be somewhat "believable" rather than one dimensional characters with cheesy one liners in a storyline that isn't 100% predictable. Maybe a bit less of those terrible fake accents would be nice, too.

Some emotion perhaps? The only thing Pacific Rim was lacking was a big sloppy kiss at the end.

Am I asking for too much?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    The belief that there is no way to develop and introduce new ideas or concepts is not a new one (either). This belief has been around for a few thousand years:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

I do not subscribe to this belief. It excuses lazy thinking and unimaginative writing. I have not seen this movie and I'm not talking about it, in particular. But in general terms, modern Hollywood relies heavily on focus groups to determine which storyline will have the broadest appeal... and make the most money. Movies will sometimes have alternate endings shot, just so the one that has the broadest appeal can be inserted into the movie. Hollywood is not so concerned with having original storylines or scripts. I seldom watch Hollywood movies any longer. I just can't afford to damage what few functioning brain cells I have left. But every now & again I will watch an independent film which blows my mind. One example was Incendies. I can't say that I enjoyed it - to say that would suggest that there really is something wrong with me. But it was a movie that reached inside me and touched parts of my soul that I didn't even know existed. While war, rape, torture, star-crossed love, death and incest are not entirely unique concepts, when combined in an amazingly well written script, with excellent acting, the viewer may find himself in a state of confusion, if not distress, after viewing such a movie. And at least for me, that is a sure sign that I have seen something pretty darn unique.

But movies like Incendies are not made for the LCD (least common denominator) and they tend not to make a lot of money. So that's why Hollywood does not/cannot/will not make them. Bang bang, boom boom and plenty of CGI special effects are the way of the day now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzNh1nlJWc
    I know this first hand, as I was part of an indie film crew (actor, cameraman, and editor ). In fact, while I may have moved on, a large part of my friends circle to this day are still struggling filmmakers in Mumbai making independent movies on subjects that will never gain acceptance in mainstream Bollywood. They could easily get into the mainstream movies and be part of the crowd, but they choose to struggle to bring better stuff for the mainstream Indian viewers. We all know the kind of crap that Bollywood dishes out to please the masses.

Even in the indie scene, much like mainstream cinema, most of the ideas have been explored, all that we see really are either daring combinations or different takes on the same premise by talented individuals, and I find that interesting always. I have read at least 3 interesting scripts written by friends that are inspired by past movies, but it doesn't mean they are not original.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does The Road count?
    Nope. Sure, it's a gritty movie and certainly not very PG, but it's nowhere near some of the really twisted psychological thrillers or horror flicks that are out there. I can definitely see a child watching it without getting grossed out or scarred and maybe even enjoying it.

Besides you can't really compare it with Pacific Rim, it's like apples and oranges. The whole premise is different. Pacific Rim doesn't try to be an adult, gritty movie. It's giant mecha fighting giant monsters, I mean come on! You are looking at it from the wrong lens. IMO it did great for what it is, especially because there is no other movie quite like it.

I would just prefer movies and characters to be somewhat "believable" rather than one dimensional characters with cheesy one liners in a storyline that isn't 100% predictable.

Some emotion perhaps? The only thing Pacific Rim was lacking was a big sloppy kiss at the end.

Am I asking for too much?
    Judging by the favorable reviews it's getting, I think a lot of critics (paid or not ) disagree with you:

The Daily Telegraph's Robbie Collin awarded the film five stars out of five, likening the experience of watching it to rediscovering a favorite childhood cartoon. He praised del Toro for investing his own affection for the genre and sense of artistry into the project in such a way that the viewer found themselves immersed in the film rather than watching from afar, noting the director had catered to younger and older audiences alike and expressed surprise that the film could rise above the sum of its parts.
    Maybe a bit less of those terrible fake accents would be nice, too.
    This part I didn't really get. I mean Idris Elba is British, so he spoke in his own accent. Rinko is Japanese, she had her own accent. Yeah, the main protagonist is British I think, and put on an American accent, but then again, who doesn't these days? These are really small nitpicks I'm afraid.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    The Road? You asked for an disaster example. I wouldn't consider it a horror really.

Pacific Rim doesn't try to be an adult, gritty movie. It's giant mecha fighting giant monsters, I mean come on! You are looking at it from the wrong lens. IMO it did great for what it is, especially because there is no other movie quite like it.
    I disagree there is quite a lot like this film. Seems a little too unoriginal for my taste. A lot is borrowed from Mr Roland Emmerich, is this supposed to be a tribute?

Yeah, it is fine with what it is. Like I said before, it is disappointing, but we really shouldn't be disappointed by it.

My main reason for being disappointed is that it is dumbed down, targeted specifically at pre-teens. The complete lack of seriousness is a killer, so are the stolen ideas and the exact ending from Independence day (really? is it that hard to have something original? even a tad?). If a cheesy one liners crappy acting and story do it for critics... Can't say much.

This part I didn't really get. I mean Idris Elba is British, so he spoke in his own accent. Rinko is Japanese, she had her own accent. Yeah, the main protagonist is British I think, and put on an American accent, but then again, who doesn't these days? These are really small nitpicks I'm afraid.
    Idris Elba's accent doesn't sound authentic. Seems to be an Americanized version of some British accent. Not the one he had in Luther, was it?
    But the god awful Australian accents are what got me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Road? You asked for an disaster example. I wouldn't consider it a horror really.
    Well, it wasn't really an 'ongoing disaster' movie. More post apocalyptic, and they tried to make certain aspects horrifying, especially with the cannibalism and whatnot.

I disagree there is quite a lot like this film. Seems a little too unoriginal for my taste. A lot is borrowed from Mr Roland Emmerich, is this supposed to be a tribute?
    I don't know about the alternate universe, but in this one I have never seen a movie with giant mecha battling huge ass monsters. And when has Emmerich ever made a mecha movie? His pathetic attempt at Godzilla was with a mutated lizard, nothing to do with aliens. Independence Day was the U.S. military fighting an alien military force. And I don't think any other Hollywood director has explored the mecha universe before. So, yes, in that way this is a groundbreaking movie.

Yeah, it is fine with what it is. Like I said before, it is disappointing, but we really shouldn't be disappointed by it.
    There are going to be sequels, and knowing Del Toro's work, he can deliver an even better product next time.

My main reason for being disappointed is that it is dumbed down, targeted specifically at pre-teens. The complete lack of seriousness is a killer, so are the stolen ideas and the exact ending from Independence day (really? is it that hard to have something original? even a tad?). If a cheesy one liners crappy acting and story do it for critics... Can't say much.
    Agreed that it didn't have a serious tone, but I think that's exactly what the director went for, a little comic book feel. And as The Dark Knight Rises proved, sometimes too much of a dark tone ruins things. The Avengers was such a huge success because they didn't make it too serious. The sequels of Pacific Rim will be grittier I am sure.

Idris Elba's accent doesn't sound authentic. Seems to be an Americanized version of some British accent. Not the one he had in Luther, was it? But the god awful Australian accents are what got me.
    I honestly don't care about accents anymore. IMO it takes the fun away from a movie if you're sitting there wondering what accent is the actor putting on. If I did care, I wouldn't have been able to sit through the Sherlock Holmes movies with Downey Jr's weird pseudo English accent.