Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    seen it, didn't like it. want my money back.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    That's what they all say about Billy's missus ailor:
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Seen it, it was alright I suppose but feel a bit ripped off for £10. Plenty of plot inconsistencies too and the last hour was ruined when I realised that they could have easily piloted the things remotely. Also what's the point of using shipping containers as weapons, the robot arms are made of metal anyway.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    There is hope for humanity. In spite of millions of $$$s spent on marketing Pacific Rim opened in 3rd place in the weekend box-office.

You guys realize that the Plot is a rip off of Godzilla right?

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Godzilla meets Cloverfield meets Transformers. Original large scale action films are generally going to owe a big debt of gratitude to some other story/film though, but that's not the point of them so I don't see the issue.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan
    Also what's the point of using shipping containers as weapons, the robot arms are made of metal anyway.
    So that the jaeger doesn't damage its arms. Why do we hit stuff with a bat? Why not just use our bones? Besides it was to show how the pilots practicing with sticks do in actual combat.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    God, it's not a rip off. It ties into the Godzilla plot. They've already announced it for the Godzilla movie in 2014.

Old Japanese Godzilla stories have them battling with mechas eventually. Mechagodzilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godzilla meets Cloverfield meets Transformers.
    About Godzilla, see above. Cloverfield was nothing but an American rip-off of the Godzilla legend.

I don't get the comparison with transformers, other than being robots. They are an alien species battling their enemies from their home planet. And they're much smaller. Even one of the biggest transformers won't reach the knees of a jaeger. The scale is completely different. Jaegers are mecha robots made and controlled by humans to fight large aliens. Completely different.

This article might help clear a lot of the confusion - Mecha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I saw it and loved it. Having been an anime fan all my life, it was impressive to see massive mechas come to life on the big screen. Even though the premise is similar to other Hollywood disaster stories, but the idea is new and refreshing. Been a fan of Guillermo Del Toro's work as well, the guy is a genius, and knows how to implement a good idea. Loved it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    How is this film different in principle to the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion?
    I would call it a somewhat modified version of NGE. EVA units weren't this big, and they had a more cyborg theme going on with them. Pacific Rim is definitely inspired by NGE, but the scale is much bigger. And that is what's impressive:

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    About Godzilla, see above. Cloverfield was nothing but an American rip-off of the Godzilla legend.
    I wouldn't say rip-off, more a film that paid homage to the Japanese original as suggested by various things in the film like the central character celebrating his transfer to Tokyo at the start of the movie. I'd put Pacific Rim in the same category as well as the director Del Toro is more than happy to admit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I wouldn't say rip-off, more a film that paid homage to the Japanese original as suggested by various things in the film like the central character celebrating his transfer to Tokyo at the start of the movie. I'd put Pacific Rim in the same category as well as the director Del Toro is more than happy to admit.
    I agree. I used that word to sort of speak the same language of people who are calling this a rip-off, without actually knowing the history behind pretty much all Japanese manga and anime, where giant mecha have been battling kaiju for the past 50+ years. Pacific Rim is just another take, or I'd say an impressive addition to the mecha vs kaiju universe.

The monster in Cloverfield is a reimagination of Godzilla, just as many other monsters have been. In the same way, the original Godzilla in the 1950s may have been inspired by something else.

There are no real rip-offs of anything anymore, just because there are no new ideas. Everything is inspired by something else that has been done before. Every major Hollywood sci fi or action movie, including Matrix, Terminator, Independence Day, Avatar etc. in the past 20+ years has been either inspired or some even shamelessly copied (frame-by-frame) from a Japanese manga or anime. Yet nobody calls them a rip-off.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Godzilla meets Cloverfield meets Transformers. Original large scale action films are generally going to owe a big debt of gratitude to some other story/film though, but that's not the point of them so I don't see the issue.
    Godzilla meets Transformers meets Independence day.

The dialogue is very cheesy and cliché. Terrible, terrible acting. Terrible plot for the most part. But some interesting concepts are left unexplored.

This is a film for children. Or adults who enjoy robots with swords. The film was disappointing, but then again, what could anyone expect here??
    It isn't really fair to be disappointed here.