Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Right, I've taken the step and added the poster who the majority of us have had an issue with to my ignore list. Is anyone else willing to do this? I feel it's the only solution to this problem. This poster can carry on disrespecting drivers they dislike and insulting posters and we can have the bliss of ignorance. This way their posts will be left exposed for what they are. A discussion can get very quiet if nobody is taking the bait. That's all I have to say on this now, back to the real reason I am here, discussing Formula One.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Mark

I have restrained from replying to our resident Troll recently but when someone comes on just to insult members, drivers and is intent on being purposely negative, people will respond in kind.

Ban Trolls or live with the aftermath. I don't care either way but its silly to moan about it when the situation is allowed to perpetuate. We've both been here too long not to know this.

Besides, a good war might spice things up a bit
    I beg to disagree actually. If you like a "good war", you can't actually complain about "trolls". However, I think it is good to concentrate the energy on the good and important stuff.

The so-called "trolls" would disappear or "civilize" if they do not have anyone to bait. I mean even in forums the general culture is what creates the athmosphere for newcomers. If we all have a cultural discussion, a single negative person would arrive and would have to adapt to what is here. If a "troll" can bait others and ruin discussions, then we ourselves - the posters - are also responsible for the outcome.

By the way, there is a good pedagogical saying - children are exactly who we are as examples. So if we concentrate on ourselves being good examples, they will get inspired from it and learn from it. So the level of the forum is dependent on us, who we are and what is our mindset. If our mindset is a good discussion regardless of what is happenind around, forum is a place for a good discussion. You can't help everyone, there are always problems in forums like there are always problems in the society. Banning isn't the ultimate solution - you ban one, after some time another emerges. And so it goes on as always. Ultimate solution is our mindset.

A bit of a philosophical stuff, but I have found this attitude to have a good effect in life.

P.S. The ignore list function is a good recommendation. This means you can create a more likable athmosphere for yourself instead of getting bothered about things, which do not or shouldn't matter for you.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just keep on scrolling. This is the advantage of a forum versus a spoken conversation - if you don't like something don't reply. Just act like it isn't there!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Right, I've taken the step and added the poster who the majority of us have had an issue with to my ignore list. Is anyone else willing to do this? I feel it's the only solution to this problem. This poster can carry on disrespecting drivers they dislike and insulting posters and we can have the bliss of ignorance. This way their posts will be left exposed for what they are. A discussion can get very quiet if nobody is taking the bait. That's all I have to say on this now, back to the real reason I am here, discussing Formula One.
    Good call. To make this work we all need to do it though, +1.. I'm in!
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ Baggy's first post.

That wasn't what I wrote at all but thanks for misquoting me

If you genuinely think my feedback to Mark suggests I was ignoring what he asked, then I politely ask you to reread my post.

@ Henners.

+1. Will also just add him to the ignore list. He's really not worth discussing so I will leave this thread there

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mark

I have restrained from replying to our resident Troll recently but when someone comes on just to insult members, drivers and is intent on being purposely negative, people will respond in kind.

Ban Trolls or live with the aftermath. I don't care either way but its silly to moan about it when the situation is allowed to perpetuate. We've both been here too long not to know this.

Besides, a good war might spice things up a bit
    I say this with all due respect (admittedly not much), but sometimes it is you that's the troll Tbh you're one of the main reasons I don't visit this place all that often, others with differing opinions manage to differ with others in a fairly jovial manner whereas you yourself choose to be prickly. Mark has come out and clearly said that it's wrong to insult people and you merely respond saying that you're going to disobey him and appear to try and blackmail Mark into banning people who you don't like because them's the consequences if he doesn't ban them.

Sometimes the forum can be a little (or a lot) cliquey and as such some people are allowed to get away with treating others in a less than respectful manner as long as they don't say **** or **** or ****hole or something that's outwardly nasty.

I'd like to think that with the fact that i used to come here a lot and have posted nearly 40,000 times and no longer come here all that often, that my opinion might count for something. Anyone who knows me knows I still have spare time, I just choose not to spend it on this forum, plain and simple.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will reply to this as its directed at me.

Personally I think you are a bit thin skinned Daniel. You like to dish it out but struggle when people come back at you. I have had similar discussions with Ben, DJ and ioan and over time come to appreciate their points of view and although I may not agree all the time, I respect their opinion.

Unfortunately, we never got to that point and I am sorry but wish you well with whatever your spare time occupies.

I don't know how how many posts I have or how long I have been here but this post is worth as much or as little as anyone's first post which we all did. That's the point of the forum.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I will reply to this as its directed at me.

Personally I think you are a bit thin skinned Daniel. You like to dish it out but struggle when people come back at you. I have had similar discussions with Ben, DJ and ioan and over time come to appreciate their points of view and although I may not agree all the time, I respect their opinion.

Unfortunately, we never got to that point and I am sorry but wish you well with whatever your spare time occupies.

I don't know how how many posts I have or how long I have been here but this post is worth as much or as little as anyone's first post which we all did. That's the point of the forum.
    I deal with far worse on other forums most days. It doesn't bother me tbh.

Personally I don't think you're "sorry", you just like to make a lot of noise and shout your opinion out. If that involves others leaving then I somehow doubt that bothers you one bit.

I think this thread is a great indication of the harm you do to this forum with your attitude and the fact that you don't have the forums needs at heart, Mark quite rightly said that people need to stop with name calling and rather than simply say "OK Mark", you come out and say that you'll do it, but only if he bans the trolls. So basically you'll play nicely, but only if Mark removes the people you perceive to be trolls. It may be hypocrisy to point this out because I don't always behave myself, but surely we should all endeavour to behave ourselves regardless of whether we like other people or think that they're trolls.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Henners, +1. i I had no idea that facility existed.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I think the issues here are multifaceted and cannot be reduced to one simple point, But it's not too difficult to understand by an impartial observer the issues at play. There are plenty of people in the world who don't like to face the truth, or at the very least don't like people poking holes in the version of the truth they hold dear.

A great example was when a topic had shifted to talking about Schumacher and his supposed traction control. Of course, the real truth was he was never found to have any traction control. They found merely the source code for a launch control. Additionally, not only could they not prove that it had been used at some point, it was their expert opinion that the code had never actually been used in the race at all. This truth is an anathema to the the incredibly jingoistic British media's narrative on the career of Schumacher. So instead of actually making factual/logical points of argument, the truth was greeted with little more than a chorus of personal attacks and non-sequiturs. They had no real argument when their holy cow was assailed, so all they could do is revert to throwing sticks and stones. The net result is, I'm an idiot/troll because I tell the truth with supporting, factual evidence.