Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: 2014 Silly Season

Ok, can someone tell me what the hell is going on in F1 silly season at the minute? Pasta gets the lotus seat over the hulk? What is going on there then???
    Two Russian kids, Sirotkin and I can't remember the other ones name. Haven't even proved themselves in Gp2 never mind being front in the line for a first team seat in F1.
    And Max chilton has apparently secured a load of money (12 million euros or something?) to secure his seat in F1, and to be honest, he's done nothing of note all season.

I know there has always been pay drivers in F1, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

It's a shame there couldn't be another form of single seater racing that was much cheaper. That way we could see the average drivers with money in one sport and we could all watch the BEST drivers with no money in a different race.

Regulars to this forum will know I don't usually rant but.....
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

What is going on? The deepening effects of economic crisis I say. Not many teams left, who can really choose and hire drivers without worrying about the budget.

Somebody somewhere (don't remember which thread) was asking, why did Ferrari hire Räikkönen over Hülkenberg. Well, it has to be said that Ferrari has seemed quite conservative for some time already. For years they didn't dare to let Massa go and take a gamble on a younger driver. It looks like they want to be absolutely sure the driver is experienced and especially proven, delivers points and doesn't make mistakes. However, this conservatism might be costing Ferrari titles...

Ferrari's driver choice situation was similar to Red Bull's. In both cases Räikkönen was one contender for the seat, together with a young driver (Ricciardo or Hülkenberg). RBR took a different approach by hiring the young one, believing it would have greater long-term benefit. It is often a tricky decision for teams to make. Only time will tell the answer. Even if I ponder whether it could have possibly made more sense if RBR preferred Räikkönen and Ferrari Hülkenberg.

But Hülkenberg without an F1 seat? Mmm, that's a bit of a blow for F1. One of, if not the most promising driver among those, who have debuted in 2009 or later. Could anyone have imagined in early 2000s that someone among the most promising drivers at the time like Montoya, Räikkönen, Alonso, couldn't get a seat just because they didn't have money?

Even if we don't grasp the situation fully now, long-term consequences of recession affecting driver market could be felt some time in the future. As I said, people could still complain in 10 years' time that Vettel is winning too much without much competition. And at least partly you would know the reason...

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    Ok, can someone tell me what the hell is going on in F1 silly season at the minute? Pasta gets the lotus seat over the hulk? What is going on there then???
    See my post above from yesterday. Lotus needs money to develop a better car. Going with one strong pay driver is not too bad. It would not do good to Hulkenberg if Lotus is broke and builds another car that performs like a 2011 car.

Two Russian kids, Sirotkin and I can't remember the other ones name. Haven't even proved themselves in Gp2 never mind being front in the line for a first team seat in F1.
    And Max chilton has apparently secured a load of money (12 million euros or something?) to secure his seat in F1, and to be honest, he's done nothing of note all season.
    Sirotkin and Kvyat were already discussed in separate threads. Kvyat is a star of RedBull's junior program, and they only promote their own drivers into Toro Ross. Sirotkin gets the seat primarily for the sponsors.

The new investors want Lotus to hire Hulkenberg.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/197807/..._imminent.html

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    The new investors want Lotus to hire Hulkenberg.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/197807/..._imminent.html
    That sounds very promising. They also state they have spoken to both Kimi and his manager, and want to straighten out the money situation there to ensure Kimi completes the season in the Lotus. It sounds like a win/win situation for the team, and hopefully for Hulkenberg as well.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

That would be great if they secure Hulkenberg for 2014. If they give him a top car then we will see what he's made of. If we don't have an idea already
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

What are your opinions on the potential for Magnussen to replace Perez for 2014?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24844304

Seems a little harsh on Perez, but I suppose its good to see McLaren acting as its obvious Perez is under-performing. Magnussen's father Jan I remember well at Stewart and it was always said he never lived up to his potential, but his son certainly looks like he could. Should McLaren take a punt on the kid or give Perez one more season to prove himself?

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think he's better than his dad - won in everything he's raced. It would be interesting but I think it's a tad harsh on Perez who has been wildly inconsistent (which Mac must have known anyway from his Sauber days) but at times matched JB.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Seems a little harsh on Perez, but I suppose its good to see McLaren acting as its obvious Perez is under-performing. Magnussen's father Jan I remember well at Stewart and it was always said he never lived up to his potential, but his son certainly looks like he could. Should McLaren take a punt on the kid or give Perez one more season to prove himself?
    McLaren are in the same sort of position with Perez as they were with say Stefan Johansson in 1987. Johansson showed a lot of potential and was scoring second places with a fragile Ferarri, was signed for McLaren and although scored a few podiums, never broke through with the potential that he promised.

The MP4-28 is an entirely lacklustre car when compared to the field but Button has still been finding points in it far more regularly than Perez has. He's actually managed to achieve the bizarre and do worse in the McLaren in '13 than the Sauber he had in '12.

I could be wrong about this but I think that Button, Perez and Chilton are the only three drivers not to have retired in 2013. If the tow McLaren drivers had shown a little more anger, maybe they'd have been given better equipment. So far I've only really seen the red mist come down in Perez' helmet once and in F1, that really isn't good enough.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!