Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Re: 2014 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Maybe...

Or maybe Luca doesn't give a toss about who is faster and only wants the WCC?
    I tend to agree with my man Koz.

The bigger picture at Ferrari is that they desperately need to narrow the gap to Red Bull sooner rather than later.

The Milton Keynes based team has been utterly dominant over the last four seasons and is on the verge of a fourth successive constructors’ and drivers’ title.

For a team as big as Ferrari, not winning a title since 2008 will be a huge concern and both Alonso and Raikkonen will be working as hard as ever to address this issue in order to stop the Vettel juggernaut next season.
    @ p'monkeys: Do you have a source that states that S.D. is in Kimi's camp, and Zemo is in Fred's, or is this speculation? Mind you I’m not saying you are wrong, but I don't get that impression from the reading I’ve done.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't have a link at hand, because I'm posting from a mobile device, and copy-pasting causes a few issues. But Luca made some comments over the Christmas break where he described Raikkonen as being in the twilight of his career, and understanding that his role in the team was to score points for the WCC title.

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner Monkeys
    I don't have a link at hand, because I'm posting from a mobile device, and copy-pasting causes a few issues. But Luca made some comments over the Christmas break where he described Raikkonen as being in the twilight of his career, and understanding that his role in the team was to score points for the WCC title.
    The articles you are referring to are well documented on this forum. In fact there is a thread devoted to Kimi is #2 according to Zemo's words. However I can't connect the dots that somehow S.D. is favoring Kimi over Zo.
    Here is an excerpt from an interview with S.D. that appeared in Autosport:
    "For anyone thinking that the choice of Kimi is somehow an anti-Alonso choice, I can put their minds at rest: at Ferrari, everyone knows the interests of the team come first and only then those of the individual.

"Fernando is a key asset for this team and he will be for a long time. I'm sure he is the first to be happy with a choice made to strengthen the group, because he is too intelligent not to realize that a stronger team can only be an advantage."

Domenicali insists both drivers will be given equal opportunity to challenge for the title in 2014 until one has a clear advantage.

"Nothing will change in the way the team is run," he added.
    The line I highlighted in red could be interpreted as Fred will continue to be #1, No?

TBH I think that there is a more significant matter in all of this. I understand that this is going to be discussed because it is recent news, but I think teaming Kimi with Alonso's significance to me, and I am partial to Ferrari (although I like every single team and driver, and generally just really get a kick out of F1)is this will just add to Ferrari's legacy in F1. Most people look back very fondly on strong team pairings at "The Scuderia" like:

Jody Scheckter - Gilles Villeneuve, Niki Lauda - Clay Regazzoni. Even though in both cases there was a number 1 and number 2, those drivers brought home what was paramount to the team, The WCC. If Kimi can get the upper hand on Fred he will be allowed to beat him, of that I have no doubt. How the individual drivers react to their competition, or the media spins it is something I personally couldn't care less about. That is not what I follow F1 for.

May the Forza be with both of them! Avantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Domenicali's had a similar reign to Whitmarsh and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar fate comes to him.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alca-Tazizzle
    I can't connect the dots that somehow S.D. is favoring Kimi over Zo.
    Because Domenicali is not squaring off with Alonso. He's going up against Luca. Alonso is Luca's champion, while Raikkonen is Domenicali's. They are like two medieval kings who have chosen their champions to fight on their behalf.

Luca has backed Felipe Massa for years. But Massa has not been up to the task. I think the general opinion is that he should have been dropped after the 2011 season, if not sooner. But he has always had Luca's support, so when he did not perform, that reflected badly on Luca. When it finally came time to let Massa go, Luca was believed to favour Nico Hulkenberg. But because he made the wrong call on Massa, that gave Domenicali the opening to lobby for Raikkonen.

There have been other mis-steps along the way. Ferrari completely missed the boat on young driver programmes, so drivers like Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by and started winning titles for other teams. And when Ferrari finally managed to get some kind of framework in place to support young drivers, McLaren poached their most viable prospect away. Jules Bianchi might come good soon, but if he does not, Raffaele Marciello is the next-best alternative, and there is a real possibility that if Raikkonen falters, Ferrari might have a vacant seat and no-one to fill it.

2014 is going to be the battle for Ferrari's soul. The backer of whichever driver comes out on top will have the strongest influence in 2015.

With all due respect I believe you have read too much into this move to get Kimi, and suspect Zemo and S.D. would be overjoyed if they could win the WCC with Fred and Kimi. Ferrari the team has seen better days, they have also seen much worse. If they suck this year S.D. will get the hook…… from Zemo. However there may be some truth in what you say I suppose, it isn't the aspect of F1 I really follow. I much prefer the racing.
    May the Forza be with them.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Van de Garde and Pic definitely out of Caterham.

Sauber have taken VDG as test and reserve. This year they have a reasonable driver lineup who all bring a bit of money too so hopefully their finances will be healthier. I wondered why Caterham took Van de Garde at the beginning of last year but he seemed to improve quite a bit.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I agree about VDG. He became a lot better as the season went on. Shame for him he didn't get a second season as that often helps drivers.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Boullier
    I know where we are now today with the car and we will still be fighting, hopefully for some podiums his year.
    Sounds very disappointing, after having the second best car last season.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 3--f1.html

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts

There have been other mis-steps along the way. Ferrari completely missed the boat on young driver programmes, so drivers like Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by and started winning titles for other teams. And when Ferrari finally managed to get some kind of framework in place to support young drivers, McLaren poached their most viable prospect away. Jules Bianchi might come good soon, but if he does not, Raffaele Marciello is the next-best alternative, and there is a real possibility that if Raikkonen falters, Ferrari might have a vacant seat and no-one to fill it.
    Grooming young drivers has little sense, at the present moment, with testing banned they are almost worthless.
    Vettel and Hamilton had thousands of kilometres under their belts before their first races.

And as far as young drivers go, I think Kevin Magnussen will do little better than Gutierrez next year.

2014 is going to be the battle for Ferrari's soul. The backer of whichever driver comes out on top will have the strongest influence in 2015.
    Luca is the boss, there is no question of "influence" until he decides that the time is right for him to retire into politics. He'd be very happy to win one or both championships before he goes on his way.