Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My BMW Z4 is killing my knee

What am I doing wrong?

I cant seem to get the seat setup on my BMW Z4 (right hand drive) so that I am comfortable.

I eather bash my left knee on the console because it juts out just where my knee rests, or I get achy arms from having to sit so far back.

Am I the wrong body shape, or am I to stupid to work it out??? Does anyone else suffer from this? Is there a cure or am I going to have to sell my car?
    "You can't drink a pint of Bovril!" :beer:

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Lotus Elise, but he is 6' 1" with quite long legs. Some of these sports cars are just not designed for tall people unfortunately.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Move the seat to the back enough to make the legs comfortable, then adjust the steering wheel. If you have trouble reaching the steering wheel, then adjust the seat back angle until you can hold the steering wheel with comfort. No z4 experience, but I am 6.01ft tall and this is what I have to do in some cars. This often results in steering wheel almost rubbing my legs and the seat back straighter than what most people like, but I usually find this comfortable.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    1. Wrap your knee in bubble wrap, or

2. Take a hacksaw and a blow torch and fasion a cut-away in the console, or

3. If the car is automatic, have an above knee amputation. Easy!

Oh, you wanted sensible suggestions? In that case I recommend what Zako says ;-)

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Can't get comfy in your Z4? Aww, poor baby. Life is so unfair.

You may have to make the painful sacrifice and trade it in for an X5. :

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Luke if you have a problem with your car, I have a very simple solution. Give the car to me and the car will no longer cause you any problem.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Take it to a custom body shop and have the seat runners relocated rearward. I had to do this on a Mazda RX-7 race car I bought years ago, right after I fitted the race seat in. If you don't want to do that, you either have to live with the discomfort or sell the Bimmer and buy something that will better fit your legs.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    get a mac
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Can't get comfy in your Z4? Aww, poor baby. Life is so unfair.

You may have to make the painful sacrifice and trade it in for an X5. :
    I can't, the lease is for 3 years. And I forgot to specify the heated steering wheel :d'oh:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    Move the seat to the back enough to make the legs comfortable, then adjust the steering wheel. If you have trouble reaching the steering wheel, then adjust the seat back angle until you can hold the steering wheel with comfort. No z4 experience, but I am 6.01ft tall and this is what I have to do in some cars. This often results in steering wheel almost rubbing my legs and the seat back straighter than what most people like, but I usually find this comfortable.
    This does work, but unfortunatly, the head rest is fixed at a funny forward angle, so it bashed me in the head when I accelerate. I've looked into this on line, and the problem was that BMW didn't really do a good job in converting it into a right hand drive (you even lose the cup holder!).

Basically, unless one gets the automatic or DCT version, you just have to live with it. :-(