Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Best national super teams in Formula 1?

What were the best national super teams in F1 history? (e.g. teams with both drivers from the same country)

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    One contender must be the Vanwall team in 1957-1958 with Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks and Stuart Lewis-Evans. In 1958 the team won the Constructor's Championship and their lead driver Stirling Moss missed the Drivers' Championship by one point.
    For the majority of 1952 the all-conquering Ferrari team had an all Italian squad, Alberto Ascari, Giuseppi "Nino" Farina and Piero Taruffi with Frenchman Andre Simon drafted in as number 4 for two races. Ascari won every Championship race apart from the Swiss GP (as he was at indianapolis) when Taruffi won and Indianapolis. But that year the championship was for Formula 2 cars (plus Indianapolis) and you specifically said "F1 history"
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Super Aguri
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I agree with D-Type that the all Italian squad of 52 would be hard to beat, whether in F1 or F2 cars. With Ascari's death in 55 such Italian super teams disappeared with him. He remains the last Italian WC, 60 years later.

The Kiwi lineup of Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme in 1968-69 was a very strong team. In terms of balance, there was little to choose between them, Hulme was generally reckoned to be quicker, but McLaren had considerably more things on his plate. As a harmonious partnership, they would be hard to beat, as evidence of their domination of the Can-Am series.
    They won 4 GPs 3 for Hulme in those years, but they were up against a more experienced and ground breaking Lotus design team. This team should be viewed more for their potential, then outright results, and sadly it all ended in Jun 1970

Before accessing the Lotus lineup of 1967, you Brits will have to decide the thorny question of Scotland and England being considered separate countries in terms of motorsport.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Completely agree with D-Type, the Vanwall success that began with the Aintree triumph in 1957 followed by wins at Pescara and Monza, was the watershed moment in post-war British motor sport, that suddenly elevated it`s status from enthusiastic no-hopers into potential world-beaters, that all came to fruition the following year, with the Vanwall domination of the 1958 season, culminating in the Constructors Championship.

It was Tony Vandervell`s single-minded obsession to conquer the then seemingly unbeatable continentals, that laid the foundations for future British success,as one commentator remarked at the time,
    "He had a bee in his bonnet,and British teams have been buzzing ever since".

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Minardi, 1986.

Italian chassis, engine and drivers. Nannini and De Cesaris.

Ligier 1981.

French chassis, engine and drivers. Laffite, Jabouille and Tambay.

Ligier 1986, French chassis, engine and drivers. Laffite, Arnoux and Alliot.

Renault 1977 to 1982. Jabouille, Arnoux, Prost.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Lafitte also drove for Ligier in 1981 - but he's also French

And let's not forget the probable inspiration for this thread: Mercedes-Benz with Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg in 2010 to 2012

As an aside, Scots were mentioned earlier: At Reims in 1960, Team Lotus fielded a team of THREE Scots - Jim Clark, Innes Ireland, and Ron Flockhart.
    Duncan Rollo

I had mentioned Laffite.

Toleman 1981 and 1982. Henton and Warwick with Hart engines.

Also remembered Alfa Romeo 1982 and 1983. De Cesaris, Giacomelli and Baldi.

Thinking about Giacomelli. Would the 1990 Life team count? Far from super, but I think it would meet all other criterias.

Osella in 1983 would also count. Ghinzani and Corrado Fabi with Alfa engines. Maybe even Pirelli tyres, but have to check that

Whoops! - I meant to say Jarier. In 1981 Jarier, Jabouille, Tambay and Lafitte all drove for Ligier.
    Duncan Rollo

Of course. I had forgotten "Lead Foot".

If memory does not fail me, the Ligier of 1981 was shod with Michelin tyres also.

I google-imaged the FA1D Osella of 1983, and it ran on Pirelli tyres.

Which made it more of an Italian team han Ferrari!

But not very super.