Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    One more thought. At Renault Alonso really accustomized to being a clear No.1 driver and getting the main attention. The team was built around him. Now it's a different story at McLaren. He does not get as much attention as he has used to and he has to share all the privileges with a blindingly quick team-mate. Maybe he feels a bit uncomfortable in that new environment, which slightly may have affected his confidence (like the off-weekend in Bahrain)?
    Attention from the team? Or the media? If you mean team, in what way did he get more attention from the team at Renault, and in what way doesn't he now at McLaren?

And what are these 'privileges' you talk about?

On the subject of confidence, I think it was seeing Massa back down in Malaysia which encouraged Alonso to stick it out on the outside, knowing he'd then have the inside line. However Massa's harsh reply, I think could also mean Alonso won't be quite so keen on trying that kind of move again! If a car is alongside you, do you think the other driver should be allowed to simply squeeze you onto the grass?

I know the way you treat drivers can have a great impact on future dices with the other drivers. Alonso stated I think in 2005 he much preferred racing against Kimi than JPM, because with JPM you knew he wouldn't be scared to put you on the grass or have some sort of contact!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    Speedtv actually showed a chunk of something dragging under Alonso's car...

Also Alonso wasn't to happy with Massa:

Fernando Alonso has made it clear that he considers Felipe Massa at fault for the first corner touch in Spain that sent the McLaren driver off the road.
    http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/37334/
    I think the Speed article may be twisting Alonso's words in a way he was very careful to avoid. Look at the transcript of the press conference, and his reponse to being asked for a third time about the incident.

Q: (Paolo Ianieri – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Fernando, do you think that Felipe was not too correct in that first corner?

FA: No, I don’t mean that. You will keep asking me until I say something wrong and I will not say. I think what I mean is that it was a very risky point in the race and I nearly finished my race in the first corner, unfortunately, when I felt that I went into the corner a little in front of the other car.
    Of course Fernando wasn't happy about it, but there's no evidence he regards it as anything other than a racing incident - despite the press trying to stir up a story.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1
    LH is quite fast anyway but when he need to play tatical he can.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raphael123
    Attention from the team? Or the media? If you mean team, in what way did he get more attention from the team at Renault, and in what way doesn't he now at McLaren?

And what are these 'privileges' you talk about?
    It's pretty hard to explain. At Renault it at least seemed that he has the No.1 preference and about privileges - I guess that team concentrated more time for his car preparations for the race. It could especially be seen in 2005 - it was Fisichella, who usually struggled with problems as Alonso had almost a problem-free season. He was Flavio's "golden boy". May he miss that environment?

Attention from the media may also have some effect - especially as he is now partnered by a team-mate, who is called the next "big thing". And not long time ago it was him being in the same role...

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    It's pretty hard to explain. At Renault it at least seemed that he has the No.1 preference and about privileges - I guess that team concentrated more time for his car preparations for the race. It could especially be seen in 2005 - it was Fisichella, who usually struggled with problems as Alonso had almost a problem-free season. He was Flavio's "golden boy". May he miss that environment?

Attention from the media may also have some effect - especially as he is now partnered by a team-mate, who is called the next "big thing". And not long time ago it was him being in the same role...
    Could you be any more specific please?
    What does 'no.1 preference mean exactly?

And then privileges, you think the team spend more time concentrating on his car preparation for the race than his team-mate? What makes you think that?

Don't both drivers have a team of mechanics, it's like two teams within a team. At least thats how I understood. Or are you suggesting Alonso gets more mechanics, or Fisichella's mechanics use to work on Alonso's car rather than Fisi's?

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Or are you suggesting Alonso gets more mechanics, or Fisichella's mechanics use to work on Alonso's car rather than Fisi's?
    One example from the history. This is what Prost has said about 1989 Italian Grand Prix:

Senna had two cars, with 20 people around him, and I had just one car, with maybe four or five mechanics working for me. I was absolutely alone, in one part of the garage, and that was perhaps the toughest weekend of my racing career.
    Then yes, I suspect a similar scenario about Alonso and Fisichella. The team tried to make sure that Alonso's car worked perfectly and therefore, especially during the first half of the 2005 season, the performance of Fisi's car suffered.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    To add to that he took a gamble with the hard tyres, which as we found out from Massa and Hamiltons performance on the hard tyres in the final stint, it was definately the wrong decision by McLaren. However, with nothing much to lose, I think I would have done the same thing.
    Sooner or later he had to run on hard tires, and you would want to do it when you have the heavier car, so no gamble there.

Why were Felipe and Lewis slower on the hard tires? Because it was the last stint and the positions were pretty much settled!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Alonso must be a bit rattled if the teams needs to make this kind of public statements about the situation, to help his morale:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58814
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    One example from the history. This is what Prost has said about 1989 Italian Grand Prix:

Then yes, I suspect a similar scenario about Alonso and Fisichella. The team tried to make sure that Alonso's car worked perfectly and therefore, especially during the first half of the 2005 season, the performance of Fisi's car suffered.
    I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take that seriously. Your stating you think Fisichella was given fewer mechanics than Alonso during their time together, because nearly 20yrs ago that's what happened with a pair of drivers, who weren't even in the same team (as FA and GF). I thought maybe you had something concrete, not some quote from 20yrs back!! lol

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Sooner or later he had to run on hard tires, and you would want to do it when you have the heavier car, so no gamble there.

Why were Felipe and Lewis slower on the hard tires? Because it was the last stint and the positions were pretty much settled!
    Please tell me your kidding

Your trying to tell me that using the hard tyres for the middle stint is the best way strategically?