Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Alonso vs. Hamilton - power struggle?

Thought this would be a good thread to go against the Kimi vs. Massa thread.
    So far neither of them have done anything wrong, which is the reason why Alonso leads the standings and McLaren likewise.

IMO this is the best driver pairing in quite a while. This may be a sweeping statement to make so early in the season, but I honestly think it is the best driver pairing, or just maybe equal to the Senna and Prost lineup at McLaren in 1988-1989.

You have the reigning champion, who does nothing more than he has to, yet is consistant and quick, which is the reason why he is twice a world champion.

The rookie alongside him seems to be the best Brit the sport has produced in quite a while. His racecraft is agressive, yet still smooth, almost seamless so early in his career.

Now obviously to the title of the thread. Obviously both drivers want to be champion, as echoed by Alonso pre-season and Hamilton during his slow down lap. I honestly think this pairing could turn quite nasty if either of them gets down to the pointy end of this championship, as there still seems to be unresolved tension between Alonso and Hamilton (from what I gathered about Hamilton's comments on the slow-down lap). It is early days now, but I think at some point during this season, Ron Dennis may have to step in to keep both his drivers in check.

They are both outstandingly re-assured drivers who are skilled operators at their craft, but with this comes consequences. Neither like losing. They are both near the top level of driving possible as well - both quick and consistant.

Hence I am concluding that at some point during this year, or at latest, next, there will be a power struggle at McLaren.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It is similar to 1988, you know. At that time Prost was the established champion and Senna wanted his crown badly.
    On the other hand, to me it seems that Lewis is not yet a amtch for Alonso and by the time he becomes, fernando would have unassailable lead over him and McLaren will focus their tactic on the Spaniard, because, unlike in 1988, it is expected that Ferrari will be competitive and Alonso will have to worry about Kimi Raikkonen.
    Formula 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It depends on which point of view we will call them as the best driver line-up, if we talk about ability it might be right that they are the best drivers of McLaren post Sena – Prost, although we don’t know yet about Hamilton consistency the rest races, and Hamilton needs more experience for being at Alonso's pace.

But if we call it from team's strategy amd race atmosphere, from what in so far as i read from many source about driver character, Kimi-Massa represents situation of Sena - Prost were, as such Kimi - JPM at McLaren, all of them have the same passion for the title.

Eloquent statement of Hamilton about Massa's fault at Sepang, and many other statements about teammate and teams, and the manner he is at the track, Hamilton is a best man in company, best friend at the same boat, isn’t comparable to Sena - Prost (probably).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I reckon McLaren will slow Hamilton a little because this is learning year, and next year it may turn nasty.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not really that similar at all. remember, senna had already been an F1 race winner with Lotus, and almost won in the rain (against prost) in an overweight Toleman in 84 (or was it 85?).

Lewis looks more and more like a freak, but the scenario to senna is very different. senna was already an established f1 star
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Yeah, but hamilton is a GP 2 champion and a GP 2 cars these days really are close to F1 in these days.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    Yeah, but hamilton is a GP 2 champion and a GP 2 cars these days really are close to F1 in these days.
    they are close but still so far. They are as close to formula 1 as you can get in another series basically, yet they are still so far away in terms of pace, a formula 1 car would still eat a GP2 car alive and humiliate it. Not everyone that is good in GP2 can succeed in f1
    Michael Schumacher - the most succesful driver in formula 1 history - ROBERT KUBICA!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Alonso and Hamilton seem to have a good relationship, and it's enjoyable to witness the cameraderie between them. I hope it can stay this way, but I'm not sure whether it will be possible once they start seriously competing for top-dog status. Team-mates only seem to be able to maintain a strong friendship when there is a clear driver hierarchy (ie Berger & Senna).

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donney
    I reckon McLaren will slow Hamilton a little because this is learning year, and next year it may turn nasty.
    I agree, Hamilton will have to accept that he is No2 to a world champion and shouldnt get carried away. If he ever manages to outqualify Alonso consistently only then and after at least one full season in F1 should he feel justified at wanting an equal footing.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Filming episode 18 of Bob called 'Richard, I am your father!' Bob's long lost son!
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donney

That would be a bit pointless, and how exactly do you think they would do it?
    Jim Raynor will be returning soon!