Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One vs PS4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    I was serious. I am aware you can adapt these things and have third party stuff, but realistically I don't havethe want, desire or time to do any of that. And how do you propose I hook up my PC from upstairs to the 42" Plasma in the front room? Thats a long HDMI cable.
    Simple, bring the PC next to the TV.

I find the graphics argument questionable. Especially for the amount of money you say. Graphics cards can produce fantastic graphics (of course) but from experience a decent monitor is required for this to have effect.
    I think you're confusing yourself here. The same argument is true for consoles too. High end gaming monitors have a much faster refresh rate and response time compared to any LCD or LED TV. So, playing games using a high end monitor will result in much better gaming performance, regardless of whether it's a PC or a console, because it's the monitor which improves the quality.

The reason why PC is lauded for having superior graphics is because many games are graphically scaled down for consoles. This is especially true towards their end of life period, because consoles have to last for at least half a decade and can't be upgraded. And so they just can't compete with the computing power of a good gaming PC. Generally PC version of the same game will allow the user to use max graphics settings, whereas a console doesn't. People I know have built PCs that are already superior to the so called next gen consoles which haven't even released yet. So, expect games to continue to look much better on a PC.

1. Potent gaming PC for £500 ? Are you including a decent monitor / TV in that? I don't think so. You need a high-end monitor to gain the benefit. Add to that the load times, the unreliability of PC's running on Windows OS's, virus protection - it is a very costly way of doing things.
    Well, of course I didn't include a monitor. Do you get a monitor or a TV bundled with your console? Also, you are wrong about needing a high end monitor. A good gaming PC will perform better than a console regardless of if you're using a monitor or a TV, period.

3. The Playstation controller is all I am interested in. The Xbox one is OK, but I'm used to the PS one. I do like steering wheels, but thats another £120 and you can get these for PS3 / Xbox anyway.
    Steering wheels will cost the same whether you buy them for PC or consoles. With PC you can play around with a LOT of extra settings in the profiler software provided by the manufacturer. You can't do this on a console.

And everybody says they don't care about mods........until they use them.

4. Well, yes. It is a PC after all. But then an iPad can do most of that, at a fraction of the price, and be portable and easy to use, and I already have one of them.
    A tablet can never do things that a PC can. Touch based apps, yes. Basic apps, yes, but almost everything else, a PC will do better, simply because tablets just don't have the same computing power at the moment. That's why I didn't mention the everyday basic stuff.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In the end, the same old adage is true. People will buy what suits them. But actually putting down a platform without even trying it, based on assumptions or hearsay is wrong IMO.

I have known many console gamers unwilling to move to PC gaming, even though they weren't getting what they wanted from consoles, just because it seemed very overwhelming to them. Ultimately many were forced to move and were pleasantly surprised how easy the transition was. Things have changed dramatically in this space in the last decade. It's like any transition, it takes a little time to get used to it, and then it becomes second nature.

I built a gaming PC in Jan 2009 which is still good to play games at max settings and does video editing and graphic designing without so much as a squeak. So, the notion of constantly having to upgrade is also untrue in this case.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Anybody know the actual date the PS4 is available? Seem to find conflicting dates.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think both are slated for summer 2013? I'm not too fussed as I'm gonna wait at least 6 months before buying one.

Cheers. The BBC news tonight didn't give a great impression of the X Box this evening. I think the price is the major factor plus the used game situation. Microsoft need this to work for them badly after the disappointment of Windows 8 and the lukewarm reception their other recent products have produced. It'll no doubt be a great console but will it again fail to outsell the Playstation? Everyone I know who is remotely interested in gaming seems to be leaning towards the PS4.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I normally always end up behind the new console releases, but I might try to get a new one soon.

I have had a PS2 and Ps3, but am thinking about an Xbox One, as Xbox has Forza.

Anyone know what the new consoles will offer in terms of game improvements.

I am a bit of a novice about the details of such things.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I normally always end up behind the new console releases, but I might try to get a new one soon.

Something to consider is the PS4 promises the new Gran Turismo. Now I know Gran Turismo 5 was possibly the worst racing game ever in terms of the amount of hype and 7 years in development rubbish, but 6 is apparently supposed to be very good. According to the early hype at least lol. Gran Turismo 5 was effectively 4 with a few in car views and the graphics turned up a bit. I borrowed it off a friend and played it several times before giving it back. Never bought it. I might be tempted by the next one though and its Playstation exclusive still I believe. They said the PS4 is designed more for the gamer whereas the Xbox One has a few more options. You'd expect that though with the price difference.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13

At this time, based on the tech specs released of both consoles, they are far superior to their predecessors as far as hardware goes. What does this mean for you as a consumer?

1. Much better graphics and better framerate because of the new hardware. The new games will run smoother at much higher FPS (frames per second) and clearer (at higher resolutions than they currently do).

2. Better hardware allows game developers to achieve higher levels of photo-realism, so expect much more realistic looking next-gen games.

3. Simulation racing games are so far exclusive to the PC because it requires a lot of processing power to accurately simulate real car physics in a game. With the new consoles bridging the gap somewhat, expect better and probably more realistic car physics and handling in racing games.

-------------------------------------

Another plus in PS4 at the moment is the ability to upgrade your HDD in case it gets full. It comes with a standard 500 GB but you can upgrade it to 1, 2 or 3 terabytes if need be. Xbox one meanwhile doesn't seem to support this function.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I used to have the original Play Station. I'd be happy with one again with the following games;

Wipeout/Wipeout 2097
    Formula 1 (He's right up tight and pushing hard)
    Bust a Move
    Ridge Racer (You're the greatest)
    Abe's Odyssey/Exodus (follow Me)

I'd have my mate round with the link cable and his PS1 and two telly's.

Aaaahhhh, them were the days....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

There was a Playstation 1? God you're old!