Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    What he said ^^^.

Gary
    Shocked
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    That's where you are completely wrong. When the difference between the cars is substantial, then any putz in the fastest car can win. It's when the cars are as near identical as possible that the deciding factor is the talent of the driver and his/her skill in managing the car while turning lap times which will put them in front at the checker.
    No that's where you wrong because if fans wanted Indy lights they would be watching. I do understand how people who enjoy amateur club racing can find that intertaning. Enjoy watching!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    Did not say that dallara invented anything beside ugliest racing cars in history of motorsports. cart or any other ,doesn't change the fact that type racing is manufactured and boring.
    So you like it when the leader laps the entire field? That's not boring? Different strokes.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So you like it when the leader laps the entire field? That's not boring? Different strokes.

Gary
    Did not say that, but there are ways of opening competition and making cars better looking, little faster, and more challenging to a driver. Like u said different strokes. Enjoy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    That's where you are completely wrong. When the difference between the cars is substantial, then any putz in the fastest car can win. It's when the cars are as near identical as possible that the deciding factor is the talent of the driver and his/her skill in managing the car while turning lap times which will put them in front at the checker.
    If this is what Indycar fans really want, then to better achieve this and save even more money, the series should just rent the cars out to the teams each weekend. They could go as far as have last weeks field choose their cars in their finishing order. Then we can have an open wheeled version of the old IROC series that serves only to test the drivers skill. This will leave the engineers to find jobs in another top level racing series to utilize their skills.

The problem is, the series would then also loose the best drivers. Racers don't want an equal playing field anymore than most race car fans do. But there will be no shortage of drivers, as this will give those who can't get an ARCA ride the chance to compete.

Some of us watched Indy not just for the drivers. We watched Indy for the innovation. Most of us who did left the series long ago. The rest of us will follow them out the door. You guys can turn off the lights when it's done.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary
    Do you follow any other motorsports? Are you aware of how other series bring parity to the diversity in their series? Or is spec racing your only frame of reference?
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That said, if Chevy or Penske could figure out how to lap the field at Indy within the confines of a rules package that allowed innovation, the media coverage the next day and the hype before the next race would certainly attract some new viewers. While that might sound boring to those who like watching cars go droning around and around in circles, it wouldn't be boring to the new manufacturers or sponsors that would join so their engineers could beat Chevy or Penske.

One only has to look at the America's Cup to see the interest by casual fans and corporate sponsors when innovation was introduced to what was and still is a boring sport for all but the participants.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    Do you follow any other motorsports? Are you aware of how other series bring parity to the diversity in their series? Or is spec racing your only frame of reference?
    Not sure if that was meant as an insult or just patronizing, but my frame of reference is considerably wider. I have been going to all manner of races regularly at Mid Ohio since 1967, and interested in racing long before that. I've attended races at Watkins Glen, Sebring, Sonoma, Sears Point, Dayton, Road America and other places. And yes I am aware of how ATTEMPTS have been made to bring parity, with various levels of success. (More often than not, low.)

So what is your point?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    If this is what Indycar fans really want, then to better achieve this and save even more money, the series should just rent the cars out to the teams each weekend. They could go as far as have last weeks field choose their cars in their finishing order. Then we can have an open wheeled version of the old IROC series that serves only to test the drivers skill. This will leave the engineers to find jobs in another top level racing series to utilize their skills.
    If you'll check back, you'll find I was replying to a specific post which contained a wrong conclusion. Nowhere did I say that total spec racing was my choice for a (supposedly) top level series.

The problem is, the series would then also loose the best drivers. Racers don't want an equal playing field anymore than most race car fans do. But there will be no shortage of drivers, as this will give those who can't get an ARCA ride the chance to compete.
    While it's certainly nice to have an easy win once in a while, most drivers love the competition. Like a competitor in any other sport they want to win because THEY were the factor that made a difference. They also want to compete against the best drivers. Not because some engineer back at the shop had a great idea. So drivers will go where the competition is good and, at the pro level, where they can be nicely paid.

Some of us watched Indy not just for the drivers. We watched Indy for the innovation. Most of us who did left the series long ago. The rest of us will follow them out the door. You guys can turn off the lights when it's done.
    Actually, Indy cars were never about great innovation. That was the CanAm, IMSA GTP, LeMans and F1 (sometimes). With the exception of turbines and a few other things before the "modern" era there hasn't been substantial innovation at Indy in many years.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I do understand how people who enjoy amateur club racing can find that intertaning. Enjoy watching!
    You have no idea what SCCA amateur racing is do you? Those people are racers. They do it because they love the sport and most participate at great sacrifice to their personal finances. Stop on by at an event and I'll introduce you to some real racers.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover