Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts

Re: The fall of McLaren

Great result for Perez today. Maybe there is some slight hope for the car after all.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

I doubt it, the car is still pretty average. Was a great drive by Perez though They will need a miracle to be at the front next year.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Alonso to McLaren won't happen, not least because of what happened last time he drove for them, but Alonso is at home in Ferrari and I can see him staying there until the end of his carrer. Then leaving for a couple of years and coming back for a couple of years after that but not being anywhere near as good; wait.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Alonso to McLaren won't happen, not least because of what happened last time he drove for them, but Alonso is at home in Ferrari and I can see him staying there until the end of his carrer. Then leaving for a couple of years and coming back for a couple of years after that but not being anywhere near as good; wait.
    Just need a Spanish Factory team to make the leap into the sport in 2019 to tempt Fernando out of retirement. He'll need to have 3 years off and fall off a motorcycle in the mean time if the return is to work

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts

If they got the car in reasonable good shape for next year they perhaps can reach a podium or a win, (no podium this far this year)

The truth is that they crave Alonso.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

I think McLaren cars will under-perform in the next season just like they did this year. In short, their customer Mercedes engine will never be as good as it could have been. First, it's not clear if the Mercedes customer engine installed in McLarens will always have the latest and greatest improvements. I suspect that Mercedes will use their own car to test the latest and greatest technologies before shipping them to customers. Even if you assume that all Mercedes engines are identical, they all are going to be tailored best to the Mercedes car. After all, the Mercedes engine designers will probably have access to a lot more data from the Mercedes cars than from McLaren cars. Even if Mercedes engineers were willing to consider analyzing more McLaren data, I dount McLaren itself would be willing to share everything they have with the rivals. Finally, don't discount the possibility of Mercedes sabotaging the McLaren engines on purpose if McLaren comes close enough to challenging the Mercedes cars in the title fights. It's not a surprise that McLaren is willing to jump out of the Mercedes boat as soon as they can.