Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Re: The fall of McLaren

The years have flown by but when you look at how both Alonso and Hamilton have evolved as drivers, it seems like a lot of time has passed to me. They are still chasing another championship, however they've maintained their status and appeal on the grid. It's luck of the draw though, they could have a decent car next season for all we know at this point.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

In 2007 and 2008 I was sure by now they both would have 1 more championship each. Shows what can happen.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts

Very little, if anything, in competitive sport remains static.

Every team, which is only as good as the sum of its parts, is dependant on the parts to add up to a succesful sum.

McLaren have suffered, from a variety of reasons, a talent-drain in recent years.

As Ferrari have shown, you don't just replace like-for-like.

It may well be that a new recruitment drive, will bring McLaren back to the front.

Or it could be that it is on a downward trajectory that is irreversible.

Or it could just be a bad year.

Ask me again in 16 years. That's how long it took the original Lotus to go.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    In 2007 and 2008 I was sure by now they both would have 1 more championship each. Shows what can happen.
    I expected McLaren and Ferrari to be competing at the front of the grid for a number of years, not just 2. Just shows how quickly f1 can change and if you'd have said Red Bull would be producing the best car for 4 years straight, I wouldn't have believed it. I also wouldn't have put any money on Hamilton leaving McLaren back then. The problem McLaren have is they've lost one of the most talented drivers of this generation and now have nobody in the drivers seat to push the car that bit further. In 2012 they produced a car that on paper was good enough to win the championship, however it was devastatingly unreliable and the team made catastrophic errors at vital moments. Button couldn't deliver in a car his team mate was putting at the front and McLaren need a driver now who is not fussy and can extract that bit extra. Losing Hamilton is a big chunk of their problem, but backwards development is now the sticking point IMO.

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I doubt McLaren will be particularly competitive in 2014. I think 2015 will be a big year for them, and they could dominate with the right group of people from there on.

I'd expect Alonso to appear back there in 2015, with Hulkenberg or somebody similar - Di Resta maybe, or even Vergne.

I have a feeling 2014 will be Button's last at McLaren, possibly in F1, due to the weight rules. And I can't see Perez lasting beyond 2014, he may even leave at the end of this year.
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    I doubt McLaren will be particularly competitive in 2014. I think 2015 will be a big year for them, and they could dominate with the right group of people from there on.
    I think 2014 will be a pretty open season, considering the total change in regs and the cars. I expect the racing at the front to be closer than we've seen over the last few seasons.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    I think 2014 will be a pretty open season, considering the total change in regs and the cars. I expect the racing at the front to be closer than we've seen over the last few seasons.
    For the good of the sport long term I hope you are right. I don't say that because 'my favourite' isn't winning, I say it because I genuinely feel interest has dropped off over the past 2 season's and I don't want another 2004 slump. As long as the racing gets back to being close and there is at least some intrigue over who might win, I think that will restore interest. It would be nice to see a surprise at the front in terms of a driver who isn't yet rated as a top pilot too. I, like many others I assume are now looking towards 2014 as a year for something new.

I'd be surprised if much changes.

2009 was a rarity, partially due to the intensity of the 07 and 08 title battles taking up more and more resources of the top two teams of that era. That is something that isn't the case in 2013.

2005 was more down to Renault & Michelin hitting the sweet spot in their design philosophy and Bridgestone producing duds to nullify Ferrari, but the Renault/Michelin combination had been on the rise before then.

1983, when there was a huge change in regulations, changed nothing. The front teams were Brabham, Renault & Ferrari. Hardly a changing of the guard. Williams lost out due to the rise of the Turbo's, but that was hardly a new phenomenon in 83, it had been coming for 4 years.

Sorry to be the party pooper, but the cream always rises.

I for one don't expect a major change, and certainly don't expect a left-field, Brawn style challenger.

Mclaren's issues almost certainly go deeper than one iffy design, and that sort of issue is nearly always made worse by major regulation changes.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

I'd expect Alonso to appear back there in 2015, with Hulkenberg or somebody similar - Di Resta maybe, or even Vergne.

I have a feeling 2014 will be Button's last at McLaren, possibly in F1, due to the weight rules. And I can't see Perez lasting beyond 2014, he may even leave at the end of this year.
    I do hope you are wrong. Perez is a good (if somewhat raw) driver, he didn't luck into the results he had last year with Sauber. Given a decent car he will win races, lets not blame a driver for having to peddle an absolute dog of a car. As for JB, I think you are right about next year maybe being his swan song. If he does leave McLaren I don't see him driving anywhere else in F1, I would love to see him in sports car racing, his driving style would suit it. As far as I can remember JB signed a long-term contract with McLaren that tied him to the team beyond his driving career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01
    They really need Fernando Alonso, ASOAP!!
    He can't design cars.

Or calibrate wind-tunnels.