Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used to watch races on two channels at the same time, while I'm checking sector times and gaps on formula1.com. I've realized (specially today) how important is the TV director in making a race amazing or boring.

Today there were many times where images were showing the train of 7 cars, while the actionb were elsewhere. Formula1.com site was showing sector times, and it was supposed some overtakings, but they were not on TV.

Barrichello went from 22nd to 11th, Wurz from 19th to 9th, Fisichella from 12th to 6th, and Heikki from 11th to 8th; but we couldn't see almost nothing of those movements. Rosberg and Coulthard made good moves as well, but they catch director's attention mainly when they retired.

A good director could have made this race as interesting as it really was, but it doesn't reflected on TV.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I thought it was an entertaining GP. Not one of the all time greats, but not boring either.

I agree that it seems to be harder to overtake than ever, due to the sophistication of the aerodynamics, but Grand Prix racing has always been largely processional with little overtaking. There was never a golden age where all races were wheel-banging, nose-to-gearbox battles.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    I thought it was an entertaining GP. Not one of the all time greats, but not boring either.

I agree that it seems to be harder to overtake than ever, due to the sophistication of the aerodynamics, but Grand Prix racing has always been largely processional with little overtaking. There was never a golden age where all races were wheel-banging, nose-to-gearbox battles.
    I agree, but on Sepand overtaking was never that hard
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    By far the most exciting part of a race weekend is qualifying. waaaay better than the actual race.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andreag
    I used to watch races on two channels at the same time, while I'm checking sector times and gaps on formula1.com. I've realized (specially today) how important is the TV director in making a race amazing or boring.

Today there were many times where images were showing the train of 7 cars, while the actionb were elsewhere. Formula1.com site was showing sector times, and it was supposed some overtakings, but they were not on TV.

Barrichello went from 22nd to 11th, Wurz from 19th to 9th, Fisichella from 12th to 6th, and Heikki from 11th to 8th; but we couldn't see almost nothing of those movements. Rosberg and Coulthard made good moves as well, but they catch director's attention mainly when they retired.

A good director could have made this race as interesting as it really was, but it doesn't reflected on TV.
    Absolutly! I LOVE watching motor racing - nonetheless a poorly announced and directed race can leave me bored and switching the channel. Meanwhile great direction and announcement (which F1 on UK tv often has) can make even a lackluster race nailbiting.

There are many times I will have the online laptime display running on my PC while I watch. (NASCAR or F1 or whatever) I will pick up on someone running great times, or picking up positions lap after lap, and I will be begging for the race director to notice. Sometimes, when they are on their game, they will go there quickly. Other times, it will be 10 minute before they pick up on, while they run boring shots of the leader. Sometimes they never pick up on it until they show a huge overtaking, in replay. I want to scream at them... "Did you not notice the fast lap times & the shrinking gap for the last 10 laps!"
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I actually could make do with no overtaking. Racing with no overtaking can be absolutely brilliant and breathtaking, too. They don't even have to fight for place with each other - rallying. Cars can be so spread out that none of them are on the same lap - endurance racing. Yet they can(and often do) give me goosebumps. No sportscar race is boring to me, ho could those beautiful cars be boring? No rally coverage is boring to me - they're driving on the ordinary roads, in all conditions. No airfield-like tarmac run-offs is just a bonus.

IMO F1 right now has boring cars, boring tracks, and mostly boring drivers.

Here's an exciting car, exciting track, exciting driver for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtyZosuPNE
    Or if you want to go hardcore... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJtBb-Pfxs

Enjoy. mokin:
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    I actually could make do with no overtaking. Racing with no overtaking can be absolutely brilliant and breathtaking, too. They don't even have to fight for place with each other - rallying.
    Rallying is beautiful, especially on snow.
    Formula 1

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Don't know about you but I was entertained and on the edge of my seat for most of the race. I would give 8/10. Either you saw a different race or you're very hard to please!

This year's race was a whole lot better than last years which was surprisingly dull and processional for Tilke track.

The first stint was exciting, lots of overtaking/close action up down the field. Middle phase of the race was admittedly a bit boring but the last stint was tense when we had Kimi catching Hamilton.

I agree, I was entertained!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    can I ask again: Is F1 just overtaking?

cause we're measuring the races taking count overtaking, and I think that's plain wrong, I'm happy F1 doesn't use artificial measures to have more overtaking, ok the race wasn't a classic to remember but I didn't find it boring at all.

Good to see some members here see beyond overtaking
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andreag

I agree, although I wasn't bored by the race by any stretch.