Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I'm much younger than most people in this forum, so I'm going to go with The Lion King. One day, out of boredom, I decided to watch it and I realized that it was a really entertaning film, not just a really entertaining kids film. And I loved it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It has to be Ice Age! Our family (both young and old) can't stop laughing at their jokes. Classic.
    Love is supreme and unconditional; like is nice but limited.
    - Duke Ellington

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano
    If we can name tv-series as well, there are allot of old classics like Starzinger, Voltron, M.A.S.K, Inspector Gadget, He-Man and of course simpsons.
    35-odd years on this seems a bit trippy for kids to be watching.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwX-8Tc3sQQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Simpsons!!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    [youtube]J86DqHR92Ew[/youtube]

I think that it's pretty hard to ignore My Neighbour Totoro (1988). Even 25 years later it still makes most modern CGI animated film look absolutely pathetic. This is in spite of the fact that the film has a hideously simple plot.

Studio Ghibli still hand paint and draw their backgrounds and whilst some of their cels are now CGI, they still look and feel like a traditional animated film; I think that gives them more of a soul than what companies like Pixar are able to do.
    Agreed. Personally I find the moral simplicity of American animation rather dull though the humour and effects are very good. Japanese animation seems to be happier dealing with complicated moral situations whilst keeping them entertaining. I would say Akira is one of my all time favourites but anything from the Studio Ghibli range is absolutely fine. Porco Rosso stands out because I'm a fan both of flying and the mediterranean but grave of the fireflies is definitely worth a watch too. The latter isn't very comfortable viewing as it deals with two Japanese kids starving to death in the aftermath of the firebombing of Japan after their mother dies of burns and their extended family turns them away as they can't afford to feed them.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Almost forgot; Bamse, an excellent children's animated film, series and "comic" books:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HJTKYd2VQo
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like it has been said above, anything from Studio Ghibli, especially Miyazaki's work is exceptional. Me and my wife have watched pretty much all of them and enjoyed every bit thoroughly. Some of my absolute favorites are:

Spirited Away
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Howl's Moving Castle

And everything else by Mr. Miyazaki. After watching his work, the American Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks stuff just seems dull and plain somehow. I'm not criticizing them, but they just don't carry the same soul as Miyazaki's work IMHO. True genius.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    it ruined my childhood but i enjoyed the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZcHLpjiEdw

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    What's really crazy is that in 1988 Ghibli released Totoro with Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature!

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I would say Akira is one of my all time favourites but anything from the Studio Ghibli range is absolutely fine. Porco Rosso stands out because I'm a fan both of flying and the mediterranean but grave of the fireflies is definitely worth a watch too. The latter isn't very comfortable viewing as it deals with two Japanese kids starving to death in the aftermath of the firebombing of Japan after their mother dies of burns and their extended family turns them away as they can't afford to feed them.
    Absolutely, I remember seeing Grave of the Fireflies when one of our film channels was doing a Studio Ghibli season and was spellbound by it. The story is incredibly moving and it's so beautifully drawing and 'shot' that it really draws you in.

As others have said my favourite animations are pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli, it's so hard to pick a favourite out of any of the ones already mentioned (plus more). The only downside is that increasingly they seem to be on telly as dubbed rather than subtitled, Porco Rosso in particular is affected negatively from this.

I also really enjoyed The Simpsons, not because it's great animation or even that funny, but because it's just like a feature length episode should be and makes me smile all the way through.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.