Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Every era has a unique feel to it that makes it special. It is hard to quantify or even compare.

But I don't feel the 2010s are "special" in any way any more... Maybe getting old. Or need to re-evaluate in 10-20 years time.

2. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Now that would be scary; to re-evaluate 10 or so years later and find out these were better racing days. Not far fetched though, as I found myself doing just that with the 2000s, during the Schumula Won era. Never thought I'd say that though.

Maybe if Bernie goes... ehh, nevermind, that's too big of a 'maybe' to hope for.

4. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    The 3.5l era is the peak evolutionary period of F1 so far.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Every era has a unique feel to it that makes it special. It is hard to quantify or even compare.

But I don't feel the 2010s are "special" in any way any more... Maybe getting old. Or need to re-evaluate in 10-20 years time.

You haven't discovered America here. I think a lot of people probably feel the same. While still worth watching, four years of Red Bull and Vettel domination, followed by at least two years of Mercedes domination, where 2014 was the only year Rosberg could possibly challenge Hamilton, doesn't strike me as a great era. The 00s were a fine era, as well as 90s, and 80s. Regardless what which era or decade was the greatest, the current one is certainly isn't it.

7. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    The 3.5l era is the peak evolutionary period of F1 so far.
    It's not clear to me what you mean here. Peak of the evolution of what? Engine displacement, speed, power, or the competition?

Personally, when I think about the 3.5L engine era, I can't stop thinking about the disappointing years of one-car dominance, major scandals, or Senna's death. Let's go back to some facts: the 1989, 1990, and 1994 season championships ended with championship deciding collisions, at least two of those clearly premeditated. 1994 was mired with well documented cheating allegations against Benetton. Senna also died early in 1994. 1992 and 1993 were one-car domination seasons, easily won by Williams-Renault-Newey juggernaut. And so, when I look for a scandal-free and fairly competitive year during the 3.5L-only era of F1 racing, apparently 1991 is the only year, and this one is hardly ever mentioned or remembered by anyone these days.

9. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    ... the 1989, 1990, and 1994 season championships ended with championship deciding collisions, at least two of those clearly premeditated. 1994 was mired with well documented cheating allegations against Benetton... And so, when I look for a scandal-free and fairly competitive year during the 3.5L-only era of F1 racing, apparently 1991 is the only year, and this one is hardly ever mentioned or remembered by anyone these days.
    Well I'm guilty as charged of not remembering much of 91' as I was put off by the events mentioned above; first time I had such disdain for the sport that I merely followed the races through newspapers rather than watching the occasional race - to avoid wasting my time anticipating another Suzuka.

Idiots.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

11. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    It's not clear to me what you mean here. Peak of the evolution of what? Engine displacement, speed, power, or the competition?
    The history of F1, and any motorsport that was considered the highest level previous to the F1WC

Personally, when I think about the 3.5L engine era, I can't stop thinking about the disappointing years
    No surprise to me. From what I've noticed, you only pick at anything you don't like in F1.

of one-car dominance,
    Yes. If you look at the history of motorsport, and understand it fundamental reason for it existing. You'd realise this is what's supposed to happen

major scandals, or Senna's death. Let's go back to some facts: the 1989, 1990, and 1994 season championships ended with championship deciding collisions, at least two of those clearly premeditated. 1994 was mired with well documented cheating allegations against Benetton. Senna also died early in 1994.
    These have nothing to do with the regulations of the cars.

1992 and 1993 were one-car domination seasons, easily won by Williams-Renault-Newey juggernaut.
    Yes. This is what's supposed to happen. The Williams FW14B/15C backs up my opinion, and highlights the superiority of the 3.5l rules over any other period. The Williams FW14B/15C is the single best racing car ever built, so far in all motorsport.

And so, when I look for a scandal-free and fairly competitive year during the 3.5L-only era of F1 racing, apparently 1991 is the only year, and this one is hardly ever mentioned or remembered by anyone these days.
    1991 has been mentioned. You might want to have a look elsewhere on this board. Also, you seem to only be interested in the superficial aspect of F1/motor racing. Which is why you get excited over a WEC a Silverstone, by what seemed to occur on the track. When overall it's not important.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 21st June 2015 at 14:33.

13. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    The 3.5l cars are the last, full blown F1 cars going around. Up until 1994, F1 rules were constructed out of necessity, practicality, to reflect it's position as the leading motorsport class. Up until 93, it was a genuine Open car class. Since then, rules have been slowly narrowed down to a quasi spec class.

The rules since 94 have been introduced to satisfy "the fans". The current mire that is modern day F1, has been chipped away at for 21 years. All designed so that zak is happy. But he still isn't, and is keen to point out how great a WEC race at Silverstone is. Despite the fact few people care.

Have you ever seen a FVee race at Phillip Island? Much better wheel to wheel racing that what WEC could produce.

Victorian state/Phillip Island FVee>>>>>>WEC at Silvertone>>>>>>>F1
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 21st June 2015 at 14:36.

15. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)