Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Best era of F1 ?

Hamilton wished he had raced against F1 legends Senna, Prost & Mansell | Al Bawaba
    Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has said that he would have loved to race against racing legends Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet in the golden era of F1 in the late 1980s.
    According to the Mirror, Hamilton, who drove Senna's old McLaren MP4/4 around the National Circuit at Silverstone last year, is a man out of his time and a racer who would have revelled in the battles of Senna's era.
    I would say the last 18 years no fatal Formula One accidents
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

2. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Every time someone mentions this I think of the prologue, opening paragraph in particular, of The Stars My Destiny:

This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure, rich living and hard dying... but nobody thought so. This was a future of fortune and theft, pillage and rapine, culture and vice... but nobody admitted it. This was an age of extremes, a fascinating century of freaks... but nobody loved it.
    For instance how long have drivers said there is too much downforce? More than 30 years? 40?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I feel sad for Hamilton. It is such a drag to have to compete against the substandard drivers of 21st century. He has defeated them all by now and is dying from boredom. What a tragedy.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    1989 was among the best years. McLaren domination but chance of other teams to win. And 39 cars on the entrylist! Lots of drivers had their opportunity to be an F1 driver then.

6. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    I feel sad for Hamilton. It is such a drag to have to compete against the substandard drivers of 21st century. He has defeated them all by now and is dying from boredom. What a tragedy.
    Huh?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Huh?
    See the top post.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has said that he would have loved to race against racing legends Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet in the golden era of F1 in the late 1980s. According to the Mirror, Hamilton, who drove Senna's old McLaren MP4/4 around the National Circuit at Silverstone last year, is a man out of his time and a racer who would have revelled in the battles of Senna's era.

Ok, let's think about this logically:
    The MP4/4 won 15 from 16 races and was 1-2 in 10 of them. Senna & Prost were in those McLarens, so Lewis would have been in something else. Mansell drove a Williams that only finished twice and Piquet trundled about getting 3rds at best.

Basically Lewis is saying, that he wants to be competing in a car which gets its butt kicked every week and where the sport is dominated by someone else. Maybe the MB is the best place for him after all
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

10. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll only comment here on eras that I've seen. I've watched F1 since the late 90s, and this pirelli era right now is genuinely the most exciting I've ever seen the sport.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But I will say this, don't get too carried away with the rose tinted glasses. Back in Senna's day he often complained how F1 wasn't pure racing, and how he longed for the feeling he got from his days in karting.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    See the top post.
    I've read the article in the top post and I also read it in the paper yesterday. I didn't think it deserved the over sensational tone you were trying to give it though. Its sounded sarcastic for no good reason which is why I said 'Huh?'.