Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DOTD Bahrain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    On this occasion you might blame FOM - based on watching the TV coverage I'm sure most people were not aware he was even in the race It was a bit of a Heidfeld race for him in Bahrain - good result but no-one noticed!
    Yep, that's why Grosjean is also mentioned more than Kimi. He was on TV a lot more.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Yep, that's why Grosjean is also mentioned more than Kimi. He was on TV a lot more.
    Grosjean started in 11th and ended up in 3rd. At bare minimum he must've passed 8 cars, either off track or on. The TV Directors naturally are going to try to pick those moments which are the most photogenic; that usually involves cars in close quarters and/or passing each other. Hence why the Rosberg/Button/Perez trio got so much screen time.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I went bak to the start of the event and checked. You're wrong actually. Most people mentioned Vettel as DOTD. A few people disagreed because it wasn't an inspired drive and there were others that performed much higher than expected. Vettel was expected to win and easily pssed 2 cars to lead and then never looked back.

In Race trim, his Red Bull looks a second a lap quicker than the best of the rest. It's hard to have a stand out drive when it looks so easy.

On the other hand, it could be because he seems like an arrogant prick

I'd give him DOTD although there are quite a few others who were also close to deserving it. We know the Red Bull is very quick and despite rear tyre managment problems in the opening races it suddenly looks very good in that departtment... but what does that say about Marks performance in Bahrain, was he really that awful?
    We also had Nico on Pole yet he went backwards nine places while Lewis was able to move up through the field, it really is confusing... is it the tyres?

"a lot of the drivers are noticing that the first three laps of a stint are the most crucial for the life of a tyre. If you don't push in the first three you get more life out of them at the end." Lewis Hamilton

You'd think this was common knowledge among the drivers though, so it's all very strange to me.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Firstly DOTD is purely subjective but please, grow up and not go down to their level and play fanboys vs. haters. If there are people not willing to give Vettel his due then that's their prerogative.
    Usually I am not bothered to discuss about such things, but felt that it was good to point it out for once. Because I haven't turned attention to this before, so it's a long time coming.

However, I have to say things are improving and Vettel is gradually starting to get more credit here. Last year Vettel was getting less recognition than he does now.

I don't know, what it is, but maybe his strong finish to the 2012 campaign and also lots of in-depth discussions we have had here about what kind of driver he is, might have had an impact in the overall view. Or we are all just maturing. :

It looks like we have at least four top drivers on the grid at the moment, who also incidentally happen to occupy the first four places in the championship. However, it is instantly noticable if something is out of balance and one of them gets far less credit. Leaving personality-liking aside, it would only be possible if something was very wrong with his driving, but this isn't the case.

All kind of DOTDs (I am not bothered to mention them any more this year) are subjetive indeed, so it is good to watch the general mood of the forum and make some observations. Obviously I like to pay attention to the general athmosphere of the forum.

As for Webber's underperformance... Grosjean was 10th in Australia in a race-winning car and Massa 6th in China. So it looks like it is difficult to make the tyres work this year, which has enlarged the gaps between team-mates. Basically this means all four top drivers deserve credit for where they currently sit in the championship.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Seb, for his brilliant moves the first couple of laps and fpr solid drive thereafter.

Have to mention Kimi and Romain to.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Usually I am not bothered to discuss about such things, but felt that it was good to point it out for once. Because I haven't turned attention to this before, so it's a long time coming.

However, I have to say things are improving and Vettel is gradually starting to get more credit here. Last year Vettel was getting less recognition than he does now.

I don't know, what it is, but maybe his strong finish to the 2012 campaign and also lots of in-depth discussions we have had here about what kind of driver he is, might have had an impact in the overall view. Or we are all just maturing. :
    If some of us genuinely feel that Vettel didn't deserve outright 'Driver of the Race', its our prerogative Jens. The Red Bull was clearly the better car out front at the weekend. We know the Ferrari had great pace and could have done perhaps better given the opportunity, but that wasn't to be. The Mercedes didn't have the early race pace as in dictated by how Rosberg lost the lead early on despite battling hard. In the hands of Vettel the Red Bull is in very good shape. It was a very easy victory for Vettel and was more about a couple of overtakes and a drive into the distance sort of drive. Other drivers like Kimi, Grosjean, Hamilton and Di Resta had a race on their hands where they were fighting from beginning to end and IMHO deserved equal credit for their performances. I didn't give Vettel the top spot for DOTR because I felt others did a better job with the machinery they had.