Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Right. Which is why Diesel engines are used in heavy vehicles as they have a lot of torque at the expense of power.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muggle not
    a). Nascar has stated many times that there are three things you don't touch., Engine, Tires, and Fuel.........any changes regardless how minor will get you huge fines. All teams in Nascar know that and they take their chances when they do not comply with the rules.
    You forgot traction control. NASCAR has preemptively threatened a lifetime ban for that.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Right. Which is why Diesel engines are used in heavy vehicles as they have a lot of torque at the expense of power.
    Diesel engines are used in heavy vehicles because they cost less to run. A diesel will typically use between 20-30% less fuel and because the engines are built tougher due to higher compression ratios, have a longer usable life and a longer time between maintenance.

The power-torque trade off is almost entirely irrelevant. Large things use diesel because costs drive them to do so. Lower input costs = higher profits. If gas turbines or electric motors were cheaper to run, then that's what would be built because that's what the market would demand.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    any cheat should be disqualified but it is always down to if they get caught....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Diesel engines are used in heavy vehicles because they cost less to run. A diesel will typically use between 20-30% less fuel and because the engines are built tougher due to higher compression ratios, have a longer usable life and a longer time between maintenance.

The power-torque trade off is almost entirely irrelevant. Large things use diesel because costs drive them to do so. Lower input costs = higher profits. If gas turbines or electric motors were cheaper to run, then that's what would be built because that's what the market would demand.

I've tried to explain the touque/ horsepower deal for years.
    Unless someone is open to think about it the old wives tales win out each time.

I worked for Perkins diesel for a while, Diesels are awful to live with but get better efficiency and as you wrote
    heavy duty enough to put in years of service.

Remember Diesel fuel was cheaper for years and yielded about 15% better fuel per output.

The very close tolerance fuel pump was the only real weak point, and if done right and the fuel kept clean it would go a long way too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well it happens rules are meant to be broken

no

Jimmy Johnson is my favorite, How do you say to involve in cheating matter. If you have proofs show me here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Agree that there is always going to be an incentive to cheat and everyone does. Some get caught, many don't.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    If anyone thinks F1 cars are the top of the charts for engineering, they might be right, but money talks and NASCAR teams spend more money per car than any other form of racing pretty much. To take that anvil of a motor, that is low tech, and extract 900 hp out of it is work. 20 years ago they had 700 hp maybe....and now they are pushing 950 apparently. That didn't happen by accident. So when we have a penalty like this, you can bet there was a reason that pushrod was light. They weigh all the parts. TRD is lying through their teeth...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".