Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts

Underperforming drivers 2013

There seem to be some bigger discrepancies in driver performance compared to their team mates throughout the grid than we have become used to in recent years, perhaps as teams are desperate for money in the current economic climate.

Three who I would pick out as disappointing so far are:

- Gutierrez
    - van de Garde
    - Perez

I am sure Perez has a lot of potential for the future still but I was expecting more. I agree with Martin Brundle, I would have liked to have seen Hulkenberg in that seat.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Its a difficult one to call so early, three races in IMO. I think we'll have more evidence to gage this by the British GP. I think if one driver is under immense pressure right now its Perez. He has big shoes to fill at McLaren and has not adapted as well as they had hoped. Its still early days but his target should realistically be a 4th place at least in the next 5 races.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Its a difficult one to call so early, three races in IMO. I think we'll have more evidence to gage this by the British GP. I think if one driver is under immense pressure right now its Perez. He has big shoes to fill at McLaren and has not adapted as well as they had hoped. Its still early days but his target should realistically be a 4th place at least in the next 5 races.
    That's really going to depend on whether McLaren get their car together though isn't it. I kind of feel for Perez, he's found himself in a difficult situation. If he had stepped into a well sorted car, say an evolved MP4-27, he might have scored a few respectable finishes and as long as he was somewhere near his more experienced teammate, he probably would have drawn little negative comment. But instead he's found himself in a weak car with problems that no-one in the team seems to fully understand, and on top of that this year's tyres make it more difficult than ever to get meaningful information out of testing and practice. It's going to be an uphill battle for him until McLaren figure out their car.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I agree the burden is largely on McLaren for getting the car sorted. Unfortunately for Perez there are those in the team who feel he could do better, but then again that could be pushing the pressure off themselves. It was clear from the day Lewis announced his move that McLaren was deeply annoyed by the situation and I think they signed Perez in haste when you consider their expectations. They expected Sergio to hold the qualifying magic Button often lacks and combine that with a car they are struggling to understand and you have expectation and pressure. You can see why Lewis was keen for a change. Good luck to Sergio, I really hope he finds his groove.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gutierrez
    Van der Garde
    Chilton

What do those 3 have in common? It's the green thing.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Perez.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no doubt perez. i'm surprised by grosjean too, though kimi's getting the new parts.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Sauber made a very bad decision signing him. Both for Gutierrez and the team.
    He's not ready for F1, I don't think even he believes he is ready.

After a few bad performances he might get the sack, and what happens next?
    Career over before it even has a chance to start, IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree it is too early to tell but I have to say Gutierrez and Chilton don't look to be a patch on their more experienced team mates... but it is early days would like to see Chilton catch up with Bianchi in terms of pace by the end of the season

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    In my view the biggest underperformer is Grosjean. He has been shockingly slow in two races so far this season. In China he even looked like catching Räikkönen in the first stint, but after that completely collapsed.

At least Pérez has an excuse of being new to the team and not perhaps having a very good car either. For a new man it is always more challenging to find his comfort zone in a difficult car with a narrow setup window. And let's be honest - I wouldn't have expected him to beat Button in his first McLaren season anyway. So it is a logical start and he can only get closer during the rest of the season.

Then also Massa. There is a lot of talk, how the Brazilian has refound his mojo and has outqualified Alonso twice, but alas his race pace still leaves a lot desired. Sadly unlike the other two he is already so experienced and well-fitted into the team that you wouldn't expect him to improve any more anyway...

Maldonado has to be mentioned as well. Spun out in two races and got outraced by Bottas in China. Pastor is considered to be a quick driver, but looks like he doesn't feel particularly comfortable in this uncompetitive car, so not much left of his speed that described his 2012 - obviously in a much better car though.

Gutiérrez, van der Garde, Chilton? Nah, I don't think they were expected to perform at a particularly high level anyway, so I don't think they are "underperforming". They are more likely somewhere, where they are supposed to be. :

--

May I also add an "overperforming" driver, who has settled in better than I would have thought. Sutil comes to mind. He has come back like he has never been away and settled straight into his usual solid self.

Bianchi as well. It was visible already in feeder series that he can be fast, but despite lack of winter testing he has adapted really well in F1 and is leaving Chilton a long way behind.