Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    . I'd fear potential F1 fans/newbies asking WTF is this a race or what?
    They would, but also if it was hard racing with less "Show" Passing they would ask the same.

When team orders are needed they would ask the same.

New F1 fans I meet are split into two. Those who want to learn about F1 and love the racing and are interested. The others are those who say. "More Crashes is what F1 needs"

The latter F1 could do without atracting.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    I've watched F1 barely missing a race since 1998.

In that time, the most exciting seasons have been 1998-2000, 2007-2008 and 2011-onwards. The Schumacher dominance ruined the early 2000's unfortunately and a lot of the races were processional.

At the moment we do have some "false" racing, but on the whole that is the lesser of two evils. I think DRS could be removed, as long as unpredictable Pirelli tyres and KERS are kept in.
    I think you're forgetting 2003, an absolutely cracking season... which split three absolute shockers in 2001, 2002 and 2004.

And as far as the DRS goes, I think the biggest issue is the FIA not getting it right in terms of setting the zones. Their choices in China were total overkill... but when they get it right it can be fantastic and not feel 'fake' at all.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Yeah, those DRS passes really make it worthwhile. Don't forget the tyres either, it is supreme watching drivers drive to delta times so as not to destroy their tyres after 3 laps.
    Refer to my previous post on the DRS.
    And in regards to the tyres, the fact is that 90% of the time in the race the drivers DO still push the limits because those are their racing instincts. Yes, slightly more durability might be nice but the fact is it is rarely stopping drivers from trying to push to pass on the track rather than wait for pitstops.

And even then (assuming you're an old time fan), are you putting on your rose tinted glasses again and conveniently forgetting parallels with the past? Because dont forget in past eras, drivers would nurse the cars for a large percentage of the time because reliability was so bad and the engine might blow up or they'd run out of fuel if they kept pushing.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    However 2011 until now for the first time I do begin to grow frustrated at the sports direction. I feel I cant see the wood for the tree's.
    i.e - I watch the action and passes that we see week in week out, but I cant relate to them. We never see two drivers race wheel to wheel in a proper battle. One is always at such a disadvantage whether it be worn tyres or victim of DRS. I wonder what I am actually watching. .
    Lol come off it mate. Like I said, the drivers are racing as balls out as ever, just watch this video Formula 1 2012 - Top 15 Overtakes (HD) - YouTube
    Absolutely brilliant stuff

The biggest problem is badly chosen or too long DRS zones like in China. Correct that and you have very hard racing.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webberf1
    And even then (assuming you're an old time fan), are you putting on your rose tinted glasses again and conveniently forgetting parallels with the past? Because dont forget in past eras, drivers would nurse the cars for a large percentage of the time because reliability was so bad and the engine might blow up or they'd run out of fuel if they kept pushing.
    Yes, this is true. There were a lot of tedious races in eras gone by. However, at least F1 then didn't resemble a video game, as it does so often now, with cars looking like they're on rails.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    However, at least F1 then didn't resemble a video game, as it does so often now, with cars looking like they're on rails.
    That's fundamentally an issue of too much grip/too little power though isn't it?

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Nostalgia is different for everybody depending on your age. The early to mid 90's was an era I enjoyed the most but no doubt those watching from 2000 onwards will be able to draw differences to now and remember what they enjoyed about their preferred era.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    That's fundamentally an issue of too much grip/too little power though isn't it?
    Indeed. I would prefer less grip, rather than more power, as I think much modern motorsport has become too fast. I say that not out of safety concerns, but because I simply don't think outright speed is all-important.

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Nostalgia is different for everybody depending on your age. The early to mid 90's was an era I enjoyed the most but no doubt those watching from 2000 onwards will be able to draw differences to now and remember what they enjoyed about their preferred era.
    Again, very true.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webberf1

And as far as the DRS goes, I think the biggest issue is the FIA not getting it right in terms of setting the zones. Their choices in China were total overkill... but when they get it right it can be fantastic and not feel 'fake' at all.
    let them use it whenever wherever they want and I'm fine with it.